PDA

View Full Version : speedo cable lube?

87geeinn
10-14-2006, 12:09 PM
I want to lube my speedo cable. Does anyone have suggestions of a type of lightweight grease/oil that has worked for them? I really don't feel like going to GM and asking them for their grease as it is probably $15 for 1/2 ounce.

kenmosher
10-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Any type of light grease is OK ... you want it to be sticky/greasy (not runny/greasy) so it'll stay in the cable and not migrate into the dash cluster (which can kill everything).

I've used white grease and white lithium grease before with no problems ...

87geeinn
10-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Cool. I was thinking the opposite (i.e.-slick and watery as opposed to thick). Glad I checked first! I understand it is quite important to be careful not to get any up toward the top/dash cluster.

87geeinn
10-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Update: I followed this site's instructions and chose to use dielectric grease (it's all I had and figured it wouldn't damage anything). I haven't started her up to test drive her yet (raining out) but how do you do the lower half of the cable? I see where the boxed/male end of the upper cable fits into the lower/female half of the cable.

87geeinn
10-19-2006, 02:23 AM
anybody? Does it need to be removed from the transmission end? Can it be removed at all?

dvsgn
10-19-2006, 08:56 PM
not 100% sure but i think if you remove the cable connection where the two
pieces of cable join, then you can pull the lower cable and lube it . also you
might want to clean it all first with "brake cleaner" then lube it with your lube!!