PDA

View Full Version : dashhawk

buddiiee
10-25-2006, 06:10 PM
is this new 'dashhawk' what i think it is? it looks like a scanmaster, but with ten million times more information for you. im guessing, its just a window into your ecm? so that you can see what your ecm's thinking? Looks pretty neat. too bad they dont make it for our cars :(

kenmosher
10-26-2006, 09:16 AM
It's a realtime display for OBDII/CAN vehicles ... it works on a LOT more vehicles. It reads the VIN when you attach it to the car and then reconfigures itself based on it.

It also samples very fast (about 10 ms per sample or about 100 samples per second, gives 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, has a valet mode, programmable alerts and is internet updateable.

We keep adding more goodies and will be announcing some neat things that it will control via the car's CAN bus ... as well as expanding the existing features.

Cool little device!

buddiiee
10-26-2006, 01:10 PM
could you make it for our cars? :)

kenmosher
10-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Could we? Yes ...

Will we? Not right away ... the market for our cars is pretty saturated (ScanMaster, TurboLink, DirectScan, etc.)

This device is kind of like killing ants with atom bombs for our cars ... it is SO capable, but part of it's power is the CAN bus architecture (at 500K bps) ... and the fact that it supports TWO CAN channels (so it can talk to the car and other devices that will be add-ons soon!)

Once we've perfected the current device and it's got a solid position in the market, we can spend some time on "just for fun" stuff like the GNs.

Hot Rod Tom
10-27-2006, 10:08 AM
I have a DashHawk.

Its really cool. Its a very small little box. Plugs into the ALDL, and you're ready to go.

I jump in and out of alot of vehicles with my job, so it comes in very hand. No configuration, no resetting, just plug and go. I just need to come up with a good way of temporarily attaching it to the dash so I can read it as I am driving and slamming through the gears.. (Launched a Z06 the other day, and it hit me)

Good Job, Ken!

Hot Rod Tom

buddiiee
10-28-2006, 05:12 PM
3 is saturated? And who uses a directscan? I thought it was mostly just turbo link and/or scanmasters. A dashhawk is like turbolink, stuck in a little scanmaster box. To me, it looks like the end all be all of monitors. It tells you EVERYthing. I think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. Turbo link is the bomb, but im not too excited about lugging a laptop everywhere i go either.

If theres any car that would actually USE this, it would be tuners. People like us who mess with cars. People that drive an escape, durago, or focus, could care less what their cross counts are or whatever...And people that actually NEED to see this information, already have scanners that cost 2500 dollars, and are in NO quick hurry to go ahead and buy another 260 dollar tool, that already repeats what their data scanners already show. Im missing its niche...

Keller
10-28-2006, 06:21 PM
And who uses a directscan?

What's wrong with Direct Scan?

buddiiee
10-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Theres nothing wrong with it but, noone uses directscan around here. Not only do you have to hook it up to the ecm, but its on a laptop. nowhere NEAR the convenience of a scanmaster or dashhawk. The dashhawk seems to me to be the scan tool of choice. It should be covered for enthusiasts first, then the plain old people next. NOONE that is driving their malibu, to get their kids from school, cares about what their O2 sensors doing. Trust me. I deal with em every day. They dont even know what kind of oil to use in their cars. And like I said before, if youre in the auto maintenance business, ya already got a scanner.....So theres two main niches already gone right there.

Why would ya go and get a tool, that has to be loaded in a laptop, or has to be plugged into some odd area, when you could just get a dashhawk, and be done with it. It would seem, (the only people using these types of devices, are tuner kids, ie evo, wrx, supra, srt, rx7, svt focus, muscle kids, ie camaros/firebirds/mustangs, and then...us.) that this device would make all other portable, quick detach scan tools obsolete.

kenmosher
10-29-2006, 10:34 AM
It's definitely in the enthusiast hands right now (Tom being one! :D)

It's only been really announced on the Trailblazer SS forums ... the Beta units are now in some TBSS, GTO, and on SRT8 Grand Cherokee hands (most are current/former turbo Buick guys too!)

The beauty is that it works with almost all the new vehicles out there ... without a whole bunch of unique code. The base parameters work with all the CAN capable vehicles (most of the Fords since 2003 are CAN, many GMs since 2004-5, many Chrysler since 2004, and many of the Euro cars since 2001 (although that is a bit different flavor of CAN, we support it)).

SO... even though you may have bought it for your Mustang GT, it also works on your F150 (or your '07 Suburban, or your '05 Grand Cherokee) and the wife's Volvo V50 AWD (in my case), or her Dodge minivan.

The performance vehicles have some unique parameters usually (which can be turned on via the config menus), so you can get all sorts of cool stuff on your Vette, but still use it to diagnose the DTC setting the MIL light on your buddy's Focus.

By 2008, it'll work with all of the vehicles sold in the USA!

The cool thing with this device ... I've already got it talking to some other boxes that will plug into the CAN bus to control such things nitrous, boost, alky injection, etc. AND the have on board intelligent strategies that make them very simple to plug into the car and use the DashHawk as the user interface.

The problem with the Buicks is that there isn't such thing as a vehicle wide bus with very fast communications on it ... we'd have to implement all the OBDI slow data for the scanner and you'd have to string wires around the vehicle to implement a CAN bus. It could definitely be done, but it'd take some effort and would only sell a limited number.

As a standalone scan tool for the Buick, well, that's already covered by ScanMaster. Not saying we couldn't do some neat things with the DashHawk, but in the end I worry it'd take years to recoup the investment in time and effort.