PDA

View Full Version : I want to strip my intercooler..

buddiiee
10-30-2006, 12:54 AM
Anyone have any good fast methods of stripping our intercoolers down to bare aluminum? Is there any type of chemical i could just spray on it? or brush on it and use say, a hard bristled brush to agitate it off?

PaCemkr86
10-30-2006, 12:51 PM
oven cleaner

buddiiee
10-30-2006, 04:31 PM
OVEN CLEANER strips that tough paint off of our intercoolers???

PaCemkr86
10-30-2006, 08:09 PM
it took the powered coating of some black DPS mustang wheels so i'm pretty sure it will work

buddiiee
10-31-2006, 01:53 AM
noo ****. wow. what brand did ya use? sounds very interesting. cant wait to try er out.

Phatman
10-31-2006, 06:47 PM
Aircraft paint remover, most any paint supply store.
Stripping the tanks and polishing them takes some time. I'd advise not stripping the core, it's a p.i.t.a. to get all the crap out after it works it's way in there...

buddiiee
10-31-2006, 09:08 PM
its actually the core im concerned about. the tanks will end up black anyways, i just dont want any paint on my core. i have a moderate sandblaster and some other tools to clean the core. not worried about that. :)

zeus87gn
11-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Ours was stripped some time before I started dealing with it about 8 years ago. I don't know what they did to get the paint off, but there was flaky black leftovers in the cooling fins when I went to install a new duct to replace the nonexistant fcty. It looked like flaking off paint.

I decided to pull the I/C for cleaning and I couldn't even see through the fins. Soaked it down a few times with purple parts cleaner and hosed it well. It looked like brand new alum when I got done and I could see sunlight through the fins. Made for a much better running vehicle.

May not be of help, but it cleaned the fins well.

Removing the fresh paint? Paint stripper would do it, but be careful not to leave it on there too long. Alum is a soft metal.

PaCemkr86
11-01-2006, 10:39 AM
I seen pics of NOTACARLO's intercooler and he stripped and polished his with something , maybe he will get in on this one

NOTACARLO
11-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Home depot, in the paint isle, Orange and white can of paint stripper. This stuff will burn your hands so wear gloves. The paint bubbled up in big patches - sprayed it off with a garden hose, then did it a couple more times. I did have to use a wire brush on the stubborn stuff, all in all it took about an hour. The paint on the front of the core bubbles up too.

When I was done, I washed it down with cold water and then gave it an alcohol bath. The finish is the same today as it was the day I did it.

buddiiee
11-02-2006, 01:21 AM
can i see it?

NOTACARLO
11-04-2006, 12:42 AM
http://www.gnttype.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=242

This is the best I can do currently. Sorry if the picture is rough. I will try to get a better one on here.