PDA

View Full Version : maximum size adapters for wheels

johnny5
11-02-2004, 06:57 PM
I recently bought a set of 88 GTA rims for my 87 GN. I was aware of the different offset at the back and I want to use wheel adapters to correct this. I would like to go a little wider than stock but I'm not sure how wide I can go without having issues with fender rubbing (ideally I would like to put 2 inch adapters at the back and 1 inch adapters at the front. Since the back now has a negative offset of about 3/5 of an inch this should look okay, the back ending up 2/5 of an inch wider than the front.)

Does anyone know if these will fit?

Jon

Keller
11-07-2004, 10:09 PM
I don't know if you can get 2" wide 'adapters', especially for wheels that wheels that have the same bolt pattern your axles already have. Usually spacers are used to adjust wheel offsets. I would consider any spacer that wide to be unsafe. And you'd need some long studs to mount them.

Why not start out with wheels that have something in the neighborhood of the correct offset to begin with? Or get non-GTA mesh wheels that have the dimensions you are looking for?

johnny5
11-08-2004, 11:50 PM
You can get adapters any size from 1 inch up to 4 inches. They bolt directly onto the hub and have their own set of bolts for your wheels so they are much safer than simply using spacers. What I need to know is how much wider than stock I can go without having fender clearance issues in the back(many people seem to be running 275 tires in the back so I guess I should be okay with a 1 inch spacer to be on the safe side).

Oh and I got a good deal on the wheels and they are very clean so I'd really like to use them...

Jon

Keller
11-09-2004, 12:09 AM
That is a 275/50 on a 15" rim that is being spoken about. There is a lot more sidewall with a 15" rim.

GTA front wheels fit. Consider selling the backs and buying another pair of fronts. Would be less complicated. Don't know how much the adapters are, but four of the fronts with 245/50/16 on all four corners work fine. Can even use 245 front and 255 back if you wish. Remember, these are 50 series tires. If you want to go wider, you would have to go to a lower profile, or you'd end up with tall SUV tires. And a 275/rubberband may not fit the rim well - or even exist! A 26" height tire is what the original drivetrain had for tires.