PDA

View Full Version : G-body inner fenders

gsjimmy
11-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Are the inner fenders the same for all G-bodys?

From what I can tell, the molded battery tray on either side makes it seem as though they would be interchangeable. Knowing that the General gets cheap where he can, the fibreglass part would be the same (they built a couple million of them).

Jim

Keller
11-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Nope.

The original TR inners are unique to the TRs. They have 'TURBO' cast in them near the part number, and have a few bosses for brackets that the NA cars do not use And I've noticed tha the battery mounting methods for the Monte Carlos vs. the Regals is totally different. Montes clamp it down at the bottom, Regals hold it down over the top. Not sure the inner fenders are even similar.

turbofish38
11-03-2006, 05:31 PM
The steel inner fenders are 81-87 Regal coupe only. On the plastic wheelhouses they only fit 81-87 Regal coupe and 81-84 Regal sedan and wagon. The left side is a turbo only part but you can use the NA on it. As far as the left side goes the only difference between the NA and turbo is on the front lower section. The turbo version has a slight cut out to it so the stock canister style air cleaner that mounts on the frame rail will clear it. The NA is a straight shot. If you are using a K&N or big mouth than you dont need the clearance that the turbo-spec wheelhouse offers.All versions of the left side have the provission for the PS reservior and cruise brackets. As far as the right side goes the factory installed turbo wheelhouse didn't have all the extra mounting bosses that the NA one has. The replacement was a NA spec version. I used the bosses to mount my 3-bar MAP for my old Turbo-link to give it a factory installed look. Also a good place to mount any relays for the fuel pump hot wire kits. There are battery mounts on both sides because the diesel powered cars used two batteries. Most of the other G-bodies use a steel tray that is bolted to the fender and radiator support to hold the battery. These steel tray cars have the hold down clamp on the bottom instead of the plastic strap like the Regal and Cutlass. Also the reason the PS reservior mounts are on both versions is because the diesel cars used the remote reservior like the IC TR. The TR PS system is just a revised version of the diesel system. The inner fenders are model specific and do not interchange between the divisions.

Keller
11-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Always good to have someone who is a mage behind the counter step in on these situations. :tup:

These steel tray cars have the hold down clamp on the bottom instead of the plastic strap like the Regal and Cutlass.
FWIW, my dad crafted a bolt in tray using all existing holes and mostly existing bolts in order to attach an aftermarket aluminum tray for an Odyssey battery up. I'll get pics of this up on the site shortly.

turbofish38
11-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Someday when I need something to do I'll drag all of these parts out for a photo session and you can find a place for them in the resource section.

81 elky
05-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Gee wiz Eric, I could have saved myself some trouble and money if I read this a couple of months ago.