PDA

View Full Version : BFG d/r's tread pattern WTF?

87geeinn
11-09-2006, 09:14 PM
I just got my BFG d/r's delivered today and noticed the tread pattern seems to be unidirectional. Did I receive two left side or two right side tires? See attached pic. The tires in the pic were arranged so that the sidewall that says "Mount This Side In" are both facing inward as they would be mounted on the rear axle. This is my first set of d/r's so I'm saying WTF?

PaCemkr86
11-09-2006, 09:16 PM
good question.. i have no idea

87geeinn
11-09-2006, 09:54 PM
No one seems sure. The only thing I could find regarding this is the description on tirerack.com where they differentiate the newer tread pattern (as shown in pic) from the old pattern which ARE unidirectional. They don't mention anything about the newer pattern's tread direction although they do mention the tire's asymmetrical pattern. They only mention that the two different patterns are compatible on the same axle. This is the most ambiguous thing I've ever read:

NOTE: In order to further differentiate the renamed Comp T/A Drag Radial from the existing g-Force T/A Drag Radial (that features a directional tread design), The Tire Rack will identify the renamed Comp T/A Drag Radial as the "g-Force T/A Drag Radial-2".

The only change will be the tire's name on the sidewall. The g-Force T/A Drag Radial-2 will retain the Comp T/A Drag Radial's dimensions and proven asymmetric tread pattern, making it compatible with the original Comp T/A Drag Radial, allowing both tires to be paired together for use on the same axle. While the name change will take place gradually during the second and the third quarter of 2004, BFGoodrich plans to convert all sizes by the fourth quarter.

fastTurb
11-10-2006, 12:35 AM
do they have a directional arrow anywhere on the sidewall?

Keller
11-10-2006, 12:51 AM
I don't believe they are unidirectional with respect to tread pattern. If you turn one around and take the picture again, it will look the same. Pretty certain it has to do with the belt construction internally.

If you really want to be sure, call or email Tire Rack or BFG.

Survivor87
11-12-2006, 11:47 AM
I agree with Scott. As long as the tire is mounted with the specified side in, there shouldn't be a problem with which side of the car to put them on.
For what its worth, on a GoodYear drag slick, they advise you to mount the tires with the small ID tag "to the right side of the car" in both cases, which would lead you to believe that they want them rotating a certain direction. However, I have been told by GoodYear sales reps to cross the tires over every ten passes or so.......so go figure. I know we're talking about a different tire maker and type of construction, but I thought I would just throw that out there.