PDA

View Full Version : TV cable not "ratcheting" after adjustment

s6275
11-24-2006, 10:13 PM
After reading the instructions here:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/tvcable.html

...I have attempted to make a few adjustments to the cable. However, I can totally pull the cable all the way back towards the firewall (until it meets a black stopper that hits the bracket), or all the way forward towards the radiator (until there's some slack before the cable actually pulls), and I don't seem to have any "ratcheting" occurring.

I initially noted 4 exposed ridges. I can pull the cable towards the firewall to expose 6 ridges at most, but when I step on the pedal in the car, that is where the cable stays. Conversely, I can push the cable towards the radiator so there are NO exposed ridges, and again, that's where the cable stays.

How do I determine which setting is the "GM recommended" one?

While I'm at it, I should mention my symptom: my shift points all seem very high. The car shifts from 2 to 3 at what sounds like an excessively high RPM, and at WOT, the car goes (bare with me...) VROOM-VROOM-VROOM-VROOM rapidly, steadily, and repeatedly around 70MPH, almost like I'm flooring it, taking my foot off, flooring it again, taking my foot off again, etc.

Any ideas? I'm changing the trans fluid/ filter tomorrow...

s6275
11-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Took the pan off this morning, and found some very small metal flakes (and paste) on and around the magnet. Then I found a flake, about 60-70% the size of a penny, of what looks like clutch material. It is about as thin as tissue paper. Am I in trouble, and if so, how much?

mark ace
11-26-2006, 09:45 PM
it sounds like your cable is broke. when adjusting it people tend to get confused. :ohyeah: its not hard, i adjust it so when engine throttle is wide open, it pulls the cable to its max. then you can fine tune it from there. if it shifts too soon ... you need more pull on cable, or likewise :blah:
as for the stuff in the pan it could be a sign of troubles down the road. but some small metal on magnet is usually normal but clutch lining in the pan shouldnt be