PDA

View Full Version : Frame Replacement

1986GN
11-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Hello Fellas I Just Bought A 87 T Super Clean Of The Original Owner But Car Is Hit On The Right Front Corner I Disasembled And Inspected Looks Like The Only Damage Is On The Very Tip Of Frame(about One Foot)is Bent Pretty Bad Car Drove Straight Would Not Pull Or Anything.i Have A 87 Gn Striped With All The Suspension Intact How Hard Would It Be To Swap Frames Has Anyone Done This....i Woul Think Of Using All Suspension/frame Of The Gn Any Sugestions/opinions Are Apreciated

Keller
12-01-2006, 12:40 AM
Since they are both TRs, it is a bolt-up job. :tup:

Note that there is a VIN stamped on the frame that is often used by police agencies when they track cars that are stolen. If you do this, it could be an issue if you resell the car and do not tell the new owner. :furious: Just be aware of this.

1986GN
12-01-2006, 01:34 AM
thanks keller where is the # on frame?i got to look into that

pontiac6269
12-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Check the frame on the drivers side, after the rear end hump. Could be on the top or on the side of the frame rail. One other thing you could do is have a frame shop cut the damaged area off the T-Type frame and cut the good piece off the GN frame and graft on the T-Type frame. I've seen stock car racers do this when the front frame horns are damaged.

1986GN
12-01-2006, 11:09 PM
thanks for advice iam going to look into cutting the tip of the frame but if that is the case i will get this section of a regular regal instead of cutting the gn frame up.its very complete and in very good cond i think i would rather sell it to some one who needs it!

turbopowered68
12-02-2006, 09:06 AM
i replaced the frame on one of my cars
i made a copy of the title for the frame and put it in the glove box.
i also had a copy of the title for the engine in the glove box .
never had a problem.
when i sold the car i told the new owner to keep the copy of the title for the frame in car just in case.
i pulled the engine so he didn't need the engines title.

interceptor2
12-04-2006, 10:20 AM
not to butt in from my exp these frames love to rott out where the bushing sit on topp of the frame sooo i would defin. chk the donor and even your own vech
exp in the back 6 7 and 2 and i seen 1 rott the support it can be repaired or spacer plate <if no other way> i loveeee when the ancor's break in the body
i can be an holesaw day fixxn that so spray good rust buster on em and i
would also support the new frame with a brace across rear shock ,frame plates,
if needed you have best access to narrow rear rails for bigger tires i also agree about the horn repair as long as it is done right welding and supported corr re-
member where all the shims go i swapped out a frame on my 85tr w/olds cutt donor as for my #'s i restamped else where<diff loc's>last 8 of my vin and also
keeped all docs secured i talked to a state guy <not much help> about the #'s
he replied shouldn't need any other docs because i did not built / modifiy the frame structure wise so ill never sell so on so fourth hth
:blah:

1986GN
12-04-2006, 07:46 PM
thanks fellas iam going to look in cutting section and grafting another piece on from a regular regal. ill keep you fellas posted!!

turbofish38
12-05-2006, 05:12 PM
I've done frame off restorations on these cars and its no big deal. Its a better option if you dont have access to welding equipment. It might increase the cars value too. Its hard to cover up welds,especially those that are noticable. I dont think the VIN stamping is an issue. As long as the tub is documented than the frame is just another replaced part. The stamping is on the drivers side on top of the rail between mount positions 3 and 4. And its only the last 6 digits of the VIN. The cops would have to lift the tub to read it after they cleaned all the dirt and undercoating from that area. I've lifted the tubs after removing the interior with an engine hoist. I used metal sawhorses rated at 1000 pounds and some 4X4's to support the tub while I rolled the frames in and out. All in the driveway too. I would guesstimate it would take me at least 10 hours to R&R one. Of course if you are going to go through the effort you would want to detail everything too. Figure a couple of months for a concours type of resto.

1986GN
12-05-2006, 08:17 PM
thanks turbo fish for input iam going to think about my options here for a bit but will keep you fellas posted

Keller
12-06-2006, 12:22 AM
Try this guy as a source for frame rail sections and body mount repair sections.

Conrad Lozier, 483 Main St., Woodstock, ON, N4S 1V1
(519) 537-7214 Cell: (519) 536-3506
conradlozier@sympatico.ca
http://www3.sympatico.ca/conradlozier

I've seen some of his work, and its very impressive.