PDA

View Full Version : Well, CRAP: no 3rd gear, 2mph reverse

s6275
12-13-2006, 10:54 PM
After endless attempts at TV cable adjustments, and changing the fluid and filter, I took the car for a drive. The shift from 1-2 seems fine, but 2-3 never, EVER happens. I managed to get home without a tow truck, and while jockeying around in the driveway to back into the garage, I noticed that I now have to put the gas pedal to the floor to get reverse to go 2-5 mph, max.

This all started a couple of Aprils ago, when I went to take my first drive, to find a large puddle of transmission fluid on the garage floor, looking to have leaked out of the torque converter area. Checking the fluid levels, things seemed fine (?).

Drove the car only 10 times, and stored it again for the winter. This April, I discovered the same thing as last year, only when I went to test trive the car, it began to require more and more gas to maintain 35 mph. When I went to drive away from my first red light, the car wouldn't move. The engine was still running, but it was like the car was in neutral.

Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas before I schedule an appointment. If not, and I DO wind up having the car worked on, what can I expect the repairs for any of my likely problems to cost (ie., torque converter replacement)?

Another thing that would be very, VERY helpful if I am going to need a complete transmission overhaul is the part names an numbers for any and all overhaul parts that are unique to the 1987 GN 200-4R.

Thanks in advance. I was hoping this wasn't going to turn out this way...

dvsgn
12-13-2006, 11:14 PM
DEFIINITELY got a trans fluid leak. SAve yourself more damage and get it towed to a transmission repair shop. Reving it up like that is not good,

Keller
12-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Something is internally broken. Might be a crack in the converter, or a busted pump or sprag. Regardless - DON'T DRIVE IT. Have it moved on a roll-back truck. Or pull the trans out, so the trans shop yahoos won't play with your car. Don't have the trans worked on unless its by someone who knows that the 200-4R in a TR is NOT the same as a 200-4R in anything else. An Aamco or other chain shop will just pull a 200-4R out of granny's old DeVille off the shelf and put it in, while your hard shifting BRF TR 200-4R will knock the next granny's dentures out with hard-ass shifts. Keeping your TR valve body and other parts are critical.

Cost depends on what you have done and by whom. And to what level you want it done. Rebuild can easily be $1500-2500. Converter can be $300-800+.