PDA

View Full Version : warming up before putting in gear

Mick
11-08-2004, 11:20 PM
My car needs to run about 3-5 minutes befoe i can put it in gear. If i put it in gear to soon it stalls. What is it that needs to warms up ? Does anybody else have this problem ? Can it be fixed ?

Keller
11-08-2004, 11:44 PM
No warmup necessary. The computer controls the idle speed. But it relys on proper TPS and IAC settings to idle correctly. Read the information on this site on how to adjust these (its an iterative process to get it right) and things should work fine.

Mick
11-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Scott,
The car actually idles and runs great (once it is warmed up). If I put it in reverse or drive before it runs (warms up) a little while it will stall, but after it runs a couple minutes it idles and runs great. It really seems like something needs to get warm ???? I dont know.... doesnt seem like a tuning issue though. My car only has 11K on it so maybe something has some sort of build up or something where it doesnt warm up as quickly as a car that is driven a little more. Thanks for any help or comments.

FlyinGN
11-09-2004, 09:29 PM
The chip is the answer.. I ran a Thrasher and a Reds and had the same problem. Went to Turbotweek (Eric Marshall) and his chip solved it. Though mine was not nearly as bad as yours. One minute of run time and it was fine. No big deal.. Try tuning yours and maybe a chip change..

Keller
11-09-2004, 10:07 PM
I stand by my previous comment. Chips can't fix maladjusted items.

Your IAC passage or throttle body may be dirty as well. I know your car is low miles, but things happen. Maybe there is a spider nest in there. :D Adusting the minimum air and TPS properly can't hurt if done right.

Mick
11-09-2004, 11:22 PM
I may have exagerated the time it needs to run. It seems like 3-5 minutes when your sitting there wanting to go...but its probably more like 2-3 minutes. Maybe it is a chip issue, thats about the only thing that isn't stock besides the k&N. When I get a chance i'll try Scotts recommendations if i think i can do it myself.

So this isn't inherent in our cars (GN's) though ? It is something with just my car ? The rest of you can just start her up and put it in gear right away ?

Keller
11-10-2004, 12:11 AM
Yep.

Check for air leaks anywhere between the MAF and throttle body as well. Not to mention all the vacuum hoses. Its all in the details.

A scan tool to view MAF and IAC readings would be handy as well.