PDA

View Full Version : vacuum brakes and 93 octane chip???

Shane941
12-23-2006, 07:35 PM
no one that i know can tell me what vacuum brakes are and what a 93 octane chip is, i see these mods done often to turbo buicks, but im not to sure what they are.

PaCemkr86
12-23-2006, 09:08 PM
vaccum brakes is a conversion most do when the powermaster" factory brake system" failes , cause its pricey to fix

a 93 chip is an aftermarket chip for your turbo buick tuned for 93 pump gas octane

Shane941
12-23-2006, 10:45 PM
thats what i figured but just wanted to make sure, thanks! :bye:

Prazision
12-26-2006, 07:29 PM
And a side note with the Vacuum Brakes:

With this done, you would also have to be careful after a boosted run, you won't have any brakes until the engine drops below atmospheric again. The checkvalve will only hold the vacuum for maybe one depression. I've heard of a few guys crashing before b/c they weren't careful and ended up rear-ending someone on the highway. :screwy: :swerve:

I've never had any problems like that though - but I am careful with it.

hounddogs!
01-05-2007, 05:03 PM
you won't have any brakes until the engine drops below atmospheric again.

:wait: Excellent point. I hadn't thought about that in the 18 months I've had this vac brake car. Good thing I haven't had to avoid any wildlife in that time..... Thanks for the tip!

Praezision
01-08-2007, 05:00 PM
:faint:

:deadhorse

BOBME
01-10-2007, 10:14 PM
With this done, you would also have to be careful after a boosted run, you won't have any brakes until the engine drops below atmospheric again. The checkvalve will only hold the vacuum for maybe one depression. I've heard of a few guys crashing before b/c they weren't careful and ended up rear-ending someone on the highway. :screwy: :swerve:

I don't see how this can be a problem if you have a properly operating booster & check valve. The booster holds enough vacuum for several brake applications & as soon as you take your foot off the gas, you have vacuum in the intake to recharge the booster. I recently converted one of my cars with REDREGAL'S kit & it works great. Much better than blowing big bucks on the powermaster.