PDA

View Full Version : Just Curious...Is there a way to disconnect the Speedometer Cable?

kna4977
01-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Just wondering if disconnecting the speedo cable is possible on these cars....how this is done, and what I should look for to make sure it has not been tampered with so that I can make sure it has not been done on my GN thanks in advance for your advice...

Keller
01-16-2007, 12:54 AM
Uh...

Yes, it can be disconnected. There are threaded connectors that attach it to the transmission, speedometer, and a mating section seen near the master cylinder. It connects to the cruise system as well. Having it disconnected would allow the mileage to read different, but would cause the lockup to function improperly.

Look for scarring on the connectors from pliers being used on them. However, this would not be a guarantee.

kna4977
03-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Uh...

Having it disconnected would cause the lockup to function improperly.

What would it do to the lockup function?

PaCemkr86
03-08-2007, 11:30 PM
it wont let the transmission engauge the lockup clutch in the torque converter with a MPH signal

kna4977
03-09-2007, 09:41 AM
it wont let the transmission engauge the lockup clutch in the torque converter with a MPH signal

Any potential problems from this?

Keller
03-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Gas mileage will plummet since the converter will slip all the time. Less MPH in the 1/4 should you choose to race the car since the converter will never allow a direct-drive (1:1) to the transmission.

Both of these could be circumvented with a manual lockup switch, but then you'd be playing with the switch when you were driving when this was all supposed to be set up automatically.

jcawley3
03-09-2007, 02:21 PM
sounds like your trying to keep her under 50k........I guess thats ok if your keeping it forever...not very nice if you ever plan to sell

kna4977
03-09-2007, 03:31 PM
sounds like your trying to keep her under 50k........I guess thats ok if your keeping it forever...not very nice if you ever plan to sell

No, I bought the car to enjoy regardless of mileage.............I'm up to almost 47K now by the way............but I suspect it may have been done as I saw some teeth marking on the speedo cable when I serviced the tranny. It could just be a coincidence, or maybe the transmission has had some kind of service along the way that required removal of the speedo cable. I dunno. However, the car itself, looks, drives and feels like the mileage is real.....all the typical indicators are there.... interior like new, minimal wear on the pedals, steering wheel, shifter handle dash seats etc. like new. However, I'm trying to figure out if it will have had or would have any detrimental effects on the transmission that may shorten it's life since I plan on doing some performance upgrades and I would like to prevent any ticking time bombs if possible.

kna4977
03-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Gas mileage will plummet since the converter will slip all the time. Less MPH in the 1/4 should you choose to race the car since the converter will never allow a direct-drive (1:1) to the transmission.

Both of these could be circumvented with a manual lockup switch, but then you'd be playing with the switch when you were driving when this was all supposed to be set up automatically.

Would converter slipping have any detrimental effects on the transmission/converter life itself?

Keller
03-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Will make it get hot. Thus, tend to shorten its life.

There is an internal GM document I've seen that basically illustrates that rising trans temperature quickly shortens trans fluid life. Good 'normal' temperature can make it last 100k easily.