PDA

View Full Version : Problems on my daily driver

91rangerturbo
01-19-2007, 08:57 AM
So my car has been making a howling noise while under boost for about a month since the weather has got really cold. It has been running fine until last night when i let a freind drive my car. And when i get in the car it is pouring smoke out the exhaust. Oil smelling. And while driving it is not smoking that bad but as soon as you step on the throttle it dumps all kinds of smoke out the exhaust.

So i am pretty sure my turbo is shot now. But Is there anyway to tell for sure without pulling it off first.

kenmosher
01-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Remove the MAF hose and "wiggle" the turbo shaft. If it has excessive movement up/down or in/out (especially if you see evidence that the blades have contacted the housing .... there's yer problem! :D

pfredricks
01-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Remove the MAF hose and "wiggle" the turbo shaft. :lmao: Wish it was that easy on the hot air cars.

In our case you will need to remove the IAC cable, TPS cable, throttle cable, vacuum hoses, intake hose and throttle body....then you can get to wiggle the turbo shaft. :yesnod:

brad_padgett
01-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Paul- Just remove the intake pipe to the throttle body. You the can test the impeller for side by side movement. Use a scewdriver and a flashlight. I would also make sure your MAF is working properly. What is the MAF reading at idle in park? Brad

91rangerturbo
02-08-2007, 12:58 PM
I was going to purchase a rebuild kit for a spare i bought. But decided to pass because the shaft had way to much play. So i just decided to call precision turbo and bought a re-built center section. I should have it on the road this weekend. :)

91rangerturbo
02-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Precision Turbo

Is a great company and put up with alot of my questions. I just want to recommend them to anyone looking for a turbo. Grade A company in my book.

budget_crx
02-28-2007, 04:53 PM
so did the new turbo fix the problem or is it still making those noises and pouring out smoke?

91rangerturbo
03-01-2007, 08:12 AM
fixed. :)