PDA

View Full Version : Converting an '85?

Tom R.
02-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Can an '85 GN engine be converted to a turbo '87? If so, is it worth it or should I simply buy an '87?

zeus87gn
02-01-2007, 01:19 PM
IMHO, get an 87. You don't want a mongrel for a showpiece, much less a DD to try and keep up with parts for different years. Besides, I don't think the block design is up to the power increase (someone correct me if I am wrong).

I believe someone makes an intercooler kit for the hot air years. Although I'm not sure how much work is involved.

Good luck...

Keller
02-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Besides, I don't think the block design is up to the power increase (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Yep...you're wrong.

Both the '85 and '86/'87 style blocks are essentially the same as their non-turbo counterpart blocks. See pics on this website. No differences. The 86/87 cars had a hole tapped for turbo drainback. But there is no additional meat for the additional HP in the motor.

The piping/turbo/cooling/ignition/power steering switchover gets complicated for the swap. However, its been done many, many times.

See our archives and the Forum archives as well as the website for more info.

zeus87gn
02-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Yep...you're wrong.

Both the '85 and '86/'87 style blocks are essentially the same as their non-turbo counterpart blocks. See pics on this website. No differences. The 86/87 cars had a hole tapped for turbo drainback. But there is no additional meat for the additional HP in the motor.

I had to go look it up again. You're right...I sit corrected :slap: .
I was confusing the production 86-87 block with the Stage 1 block.
My mistake.

Even so, easier (at least for me) to go get an 86-87 model vehicle that is already set up and go from there. Many around to choose from.

IL KIM
02-01-2007, 06:53 PM
I swapped out my 85 engine and everything on it, from motor mount up and the engine bay harness and pcm. Can be done, but may be cheaper/easier to buy the whole car.

Keller
02-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Even so, easier (at least for me) to go get an 86-87 model vehicle that is already set up and go from there. Many around to choose from.
Agreed. :tup:

The early cars are a great value, however.

brad_padgett
02-01-2007, 07:50 PM
I have a hot air that goes fast. If I knew what I know now I would get an 86/87 on the front end. The money spent on a hot air is alot cheaper than an 86/87 but you will more than make it up on improvements. An example is that I have to custom make a 3 inch downpipe which eliminates the turbo elbow. My 2 cents. Brad