PDA

View Full Version : Rear pedestal brake light

OrigGN
02-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Anyone know why or ever have this happen to you? I have an '87 GN and noticed the rear window brake light (think they call it pedestal light) is stuck on? The tail light brakes are not on though. Even when I depress brakes it does not shut off?

Weird.

Thoughts?

Keller
02-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Does your cruise work?

I would check the switch that rides against the brake pedal arm under the dash. It may need to be adjusted. No tools necessary.

OrigGN
02-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks, I think you're right. I got it to shut off by pulling upward on the brake pedal. Still seems odd that it was not activating the tailights if it was stuck?

Thanks

Keller
02-03-2007, 09:59 PM
I think the switch either has two 'switches' in it, or another is activated in the braking system. Not registering in my mind right now. Regardless, if you don't adjust the switch position, you will not have it 'fixed' for good.

OrigGN
03-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks again. Also, my cruise does not work either? So, to your original question of is "cruise working" I assume their is a activation switch on the pedal as well for disengaging cruise...as that why you asked?

Keller
03-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Yes. When you hit the brakes, the cruise is deactivated. The whole assembly needs to be adjusted. Its not on the pedal, it rides against it.

OrigGN
03-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks Keller !

OrigGN
07-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Finally got it fixed, Keller was right, adjustment was off. My question, should there be some type of nut that goes on the threaded adjuster? Seems as though it will quickly move back out of position??