PDA

View Full Version : powemaster rebuild kit

1986GN
02-06-2007, 04:01 AM
my power master is leaking fluid on my 86 gn is there a rebuild kit available and if so where can i buy it from also is the electric motor available new or rebuilt? thanks for any input gilbert

Keller
02-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Rebuild kits are no longer available, I believe.

Pump motors are. http://turbocars.tripod.com/pm.html

1986GN
02-06-2007, 12:14 PM
wow thats not good....so what have all the members been doing when theirs leaks/fails?.......i dont want to go vaccum at least not yet!

zeus87gn
02-08-2007, 08:49 PM
I emailed these folks a while back: http://www.resleeve.com/index.htm and they have the kits, but they are proud of them. Have a fat wallet ready.

There are some complete rebuild PowerMasters on ebut right now for under $300. Kirbans has them in stock for a little more than that. It is hit an miss on complete rebuilds from you local AutoZoo.

If I may ask, what makes you think it's gone?
Where is the leak?

The P/M is a good unit but has to be cared for correctly. Depending on what has happened, it may just be a bad oring or accumulator ball.

I'll be glad to help if I can.

1986GN
02-08-2007, 11:22 PM
thanks for reply ZEUS well i have not pin pointed leak yet iam going to steam it off and trace it looks like its comming from electric motor is there a seal between motor and pump? thanks for all input

zeus87gn
02-09-2007, 09:46 AM
The pump is simply attached (permanently) to the end of the motor. I'm sure there is a seal between the two somewhere. Even so, there is a check valve where the hose connects to the master cylinder. The only time the pump sees pressure (in essence) is when it's running.

If you have fluid all over, you may have a bad top cover seal or a bad oring on the pressure switch.

Have you run a diagnostic timing yet?

Keller
02-09-2007, 09:53 AM
I emailed these folks a while back: http://www.resleeve.com/index.htm and they have the kits, but they are proud of them. Have a fat wallet ready.
Care to share a ballpark figure?

zeus87gn
02-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Are you sitting down?

I can't find the email now (of course), but it was in the neighboorhood of $175 + or -. :shock: :faint:
Enough to make me keep looking.

When I bought mine back in 00, I think I paid about $50 for it from Postons.
They don't sell them anymore, much less the manual I got from them.

Keller
02-09-2007, 11:50 AM
I have a GM kit. (No, you can't have it) May have to measure the O-rings and seals in order to create my own kit...

1986GN
02-09-2007, 12:08 PM
thanks fellas well like i said iam going to pin point leak this weekend but the leak is some where on/around motor the top section is dry!!no i havent runa diagnostic test to be honest i dont even know what it is(diagnstic test for power master) i will get back with you fellas when i pinpoint leak! thanks for all replys

zeus87gn
02-09-2007, 12:13 PM
I have a GM kit. (No, you can't have it)...
Awww, why not? J/K

Sizes can be easily measured. But what is the material?
If I could figure that out, I would make my own as well and to he!! with the overpriced ones that others say they have.

I know Viton would work (probably forever), but how do you know the orings you find locally are Viton? I could get them from one of my vendors, but I would hate to think of the cost to get just a couple. Not to meniton they have a shelf life.

Nitrile is cheap, but it swells with some forms of petroleum. I'm no chemist, and I don't know how far off from petrol brake fluid is.

Good luck on your quest for the leak, post up and we can hopefully be of more help.

Patrick