PDA

View Full Version : fuel pressure

87boostedbuick
02-06-2007, 12:12 PM
i was just wondering what the stock fuel pressure is on an 87 gn and i was told that for every lb of boost i should raise the fuel 1 lb over stock is this true?

Keller
02-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Stock base pressure (measured with the vacuum line off) and engine running is about 33 PSI.

The pressure will increase on its own as the boost increases (since the regulator is pressurized by boost) 1 PSI per LB of boost. If it does not, your regulator is damaged or your pump is not adequate.

Special K
03-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Stock base pressure (measured with the vacuum line off) and engine running is about 33 PSI.

The pressure will increase on its own as the boost increases (since the regulator is pressurized by boost) 1 PSI per LB of boost. If it does not, your regulator is damaged or your pump is not adequate.

What should the pressure be when the vacuum line is on and the engine running?

PaCemkr86
03-11-2007, 04:56 PM
do you have adjustable regualator?

what did your chip burner recomend ?

kna4977
03-11-2007, 08:14 PM

In general fuel pressure will drop 10 psi when the vacuum line is reconnected

Special K
03-11-2007, 08:23 PM
do you have adjustable regualator?

what did your chip burner recomend ?

I have a Bosch adjustable regulator. Still running stock chip (i know, i know...waiting to buy bigger fuel injectors).

PaCemkr86
03-11-2007, 10:28 PM
30-35 psi
depending on your tune

Special K
03-12-2007, 08:20 PM
30-35 psi
depending on your tune

It was running at 25, and what I was noticing was that when you give it throttle, it surged up to 35, stuttered the engine, and then picked up when the fuel pressure dropped. So I might have my fuel pressure set too low?

I bumped it up to 30, and it's running a little better, but there is still a stutter.

Overboost
03-14-2007, 09:09 PM
put some sea foam in it and clean the injectors.
sea foam fixes everything. kinda like duct tape.

81 elky
03-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Humor a newbie, please. What is sea foam?

Overboost
03-25-2007, 09:27 PM
sea foam is a gas or oil additive that is basicly a cleaner. it is sold for use in boats (hence sea foam) and is for running in fuel system when a boat is put in water after a long winter sit. it does wonders cleaning everything better than injector cleaner. cleans valves and if in oil, cleans sticky lifters and gunk. works wonders. and its cheap.

usetaboost
04-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Go to any parts store and ask for it, they'll be glad to help! (usually). Is fuel pressure supposed to be checked when hot or does it not matter with the line off? I have a 237 regulator on mine and it read 40 psi with line off and 47 with line on, this was when it was cold. Is this too much? COuld this be why my car runs like crap? Keller if u see this I got some more dirt-I sprung a code 44. The car idles now but kinda hunts and stutters off idle when I revved it. Let the car run for about 5 minutes then it started to chug and it died. I hate to say this but I'm out of ideas and I think I've gone as far as I can with a volt meter, test light, and FP gauge. I hate paying a shop to fix my stuff-time to go to the shop

Keller
04-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Who's thread is this?

The only way to tell if it is too much, too little, or just right is to see how your O2, BLM, and INT values look during driving.

Temperature should not matter.

Check your own error codes - http://www.gnttype.org/maint/malf.html

You need a scan tool, not a shop.

gnx263
04-21-2007, 08:39 PM
question. my car ran like crap with vacuum line on fuel pressure reg. its an adjustable kirban unit.it was set at 40 with line on and jumped to 60 psi with the line off. it runs way better with line off. i had a engine miss during a light load and in overdrive, now its gone. am i hurting anything just running the 60 psi all the time? help.

Keller
04-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Please don't come in and snarf a thread. :nono:

You must run the pressure line on your regulator. These are turbocharged cars. The fuel pressure must increase with boost. If it does not, you get into boost with you right foot and *POP*...there goes the headgaskets. Your fuel gauge may be faulty, or the regulator may be sticking.

gnx263
04-22-2007, 09:48 AM
sorry new here.