PDA

View Full Version : Ticking Under the hood? Please help.

TurboType86
11-16-2004, 05:31 PM
Im new to the GNTType group and to TR's. I have an 86 T-type. Recently there has been a ticking sound that progressively got louder. I think I found where its coming from which is under the valve covers. When I take the Oil filler out I can hear it get louder and it seems to be in sync with the ( Valve Springs ?) or whatever it is that you can see when you take the oil filler out. I often have problems with this car and they all end up being expensive. The motor has not been rebuilt to my knowledge and it has about 150,000 on it. Does this sound like a major problem? Anyone who can give their opinion it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! Tom

FlyinGN
11-16-2004, 08:54 PM
sounds like a bad lifter..

TurboType86
11-17-2004, 04:07 PM
What is a lifter... and what do I do from here? Is it something that can be fixed easily? Should I be driving it in this condition? Anyone that can help I would really appreciate it!! Thanks!! Tom

FlyinGN
11-17-2004, 05:31 PM
a lifter in inside the engine. You will have to remove the intake, valve covers and rocker arms and pushrods to change em.. Not an easy job for someone who does not know what a lifter is.. Find a garage to have em do it..

jhef83
11-17-2004, 10:38 PM
Checked the oil level lately? How's the oil pressure?

scarface8087
11-23-2004, 01:47 AM
first of all if you dont know what a lifter is ,you shouldn't be touching your engine...but if you insist; start by removing the valve cover & check for broken springs, or loose valve train(rockers & pushrods; valves may need to be adjusted); however if you dont see anything up top; most likely its a collapsed lifter;cam lobe may also be going flat if valve is way out of adjustment.....i wouldn't go any farther than removing a valve cover if i were you. :nono:

Keller
11-23-2004, 03:08 AM
You often get 'ticking' from the crank sensor (and perhaps loose torque converter bolts) on these cars as well. Methinks you need someone who knows what they are doing...and knows these cars. Where are you located?

scarface8087
11-23-2004, 12:27 PM
he said the noise is valvetrain speed & he can hear it in the valve cover...........