PDA

View Full Version : Scantool Rental Program

kna4977
02-17-2007, 09:40 PM
I've done a search, looked at the comparison spread sheet, and have noticed that scantools are expensive. Also, after looking at the spreadsheet, I am still not sure which one is the best. When I look at various parts suppliers, the scanmaster seems to be the most popular, but in looking at the spreadsheet, I'm not sure if it is the best. Can anyone shed some light on this? Can one get by without a scantool? If not, I'm not sure that I really want to purchase one as they are quite expensive, and was wondering if anyone has ever thought about a rental program for these units if it is even feesible.......just a thought..thanks

PaCemkr86
02-17-2007, 11:14 PM
you will need a scantool.. bottom line

check out the powerlogger from full throtlle..

not that expensive and works awesome

http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/itemdesc~ic~050PWRLOG.htm

Our new Buick "Power Logger" scan tool is the latest in Turbo Buick tuning tools. This unit will log 25 frames per second, all computer data plus data fields not seen on other scan tools.
Features 5 analog inputs for boost, EGT, wideband air/fuel, or whatever all with full logging capability.
Comes with an USB output for logging to a laptop (laptop required for logging) with Windows98, 2000 or XP.
Has an special output to connect to our Scanmaster for use without a laptop. Scanmaster update willl increase to 5 frames per second (any faster is impossable to read on the screen).
Works with ANY chip in the ECU

Included accessories:

* Power logger interface that connects to stock computer
* USB cable to connect to PC for logging
* Scanner Pro Software
* Basic Analog Input cable to connect Scanmaster and analog inputs
* LIMITED TIME Free upgrade chip for scanmaster 2.1 included in package to upgrade scnamaster to display the new data items (only works with Scanmaster 2.1 older 2.0 units or 2.1 units that are upgraded 2.0 units will not work with new chip)
* Nothing else to buy!

kna4977
02-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Do you have to buy a scanmaster plus this device?

PaCemkr86
02-18-2007, 02:11 PM
no... scanmaster is its own scan tool..

and so is this.. but the power logger has alot more functions , data logging etc..

kna4977
02-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Great! I'll look into it.

PaCemkr86
02-18-2007, 03:57 PM
here is a tech support site for scanmaster and the Buick power logger

http://www.fullthrottletech.com/index.php

kna4977
03-08-2007, 02:27 PM
here is a tech support site for scanmaster and the Buick power logger

http://www.fullthrottletech.com/index.php

I got my powerlogger today. It looks like a great tool, but I didn't realize I was going to have to modify the original ECU brackets to use it. I don't like the idea of doing that. Does the scanmaster require this, or is it plug and play? Also, would a regular Buick Regal have the same brackets? If so, I could use one from a junkyard and cut that one up?

Toaster
04-01-2007, 05:59 AM
I got my powerlogger today. It looks like a great tool, but I didn't realize I was going to have to modify the original ECU brackets to use it. I don't like the idea of doing that. Does the scanmaster require this, or is it plug and play? Also, would a regular Buick Regal have the same brackets? If so, I could use one from a junkyard and cut that one up?

What did you end up doing about this problem? I'll be getting mine soon too, and would rather not hack anything up.

Jbenn911
04-01-2007, 07:11 AM
If by ECU brackets, he's talking about the case itself, you could probably find other cases in the yards that the PCB's will fit into and cut that one up..or call gbodyparts.com or put a post on the boards looking for a dead ecm ?? and you dont have to hack anything for the scanmaster..it plugs into the ALDL port

kna4977
04-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Pacemkr on the forum supplied me with a spare case that he had..........worked great.........I got the plastic kick panel cover off ebay for $15. This allowed me to keep the stock ones unmamed.

Jbenn911
04-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Excellent ! I did the same thing...kickpanel from Weavy and spare case to hack up with the dremel.. LOL