PDA

View Full Version : Injectors/chip setup

strayacres
02-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Just a quick question (possibly aimed more at kenmosher) about this:

Do you HAVE to have a new chip burned when you change injectors, or can a stock chip work?

I currently have stock injectors and stock chip, am thinking of going to @ 32 to 36 pound.

Here are my modifications:
-ATR Stage 3 kit (@1988 vintage)=intercooler mod.,160* t-stat, K&N filter, 2.5" exhaust
-ATR Superpump w/ aux. wiring
-ATR HP142A Turbo (I believe was a slight upgrade from stock, has adj. wastegate)
-ATR SU200 Suspension kit
-Bored .030" over
-Lunati 200/200 cam
-Stock ECM/Chip
-Stock Intercooler
-ATR HP 137 "Pitbull" chip, Rev.3, available to me

This is to be a show and street driven (only rarely, on nice days) car, with the emphasis on stock or stock appearing (to keep the value of the car and the show points up). But able to GO when desired!

I am thinking also of a Duttwieler neck for the I/C, and maybe a 3" downpipe (boy them suckers are $$).
Too bad ATR is gone, there were a few other items of theirs I would have liked.....
I know a new chip would be recommened, but would it be NECESSARY? How big can I go (injectors) without changing the chip?
I really appreciate y'all's input...

1986GN
02-25-2007, 03:02 PM
iam by no means an expert but i believe you "have to" get a chip to match new injectors.but youre in the right place for answers this is the best site for this cars i have been a disel tech for 15 yrs and had plenty of gas exp but in the last 1.5 yrs i have learned so mutch from this site on the turbo regals.

Keller
02-26-2007, 11:46 AM
How big can I go (injectors) without changing the chip?
Stock injectors are ~28 Lbs./hr. Lucas/Tomco 30 Lbs./hr work with the stock chip. And...that's about it. Any larger injector needs a different chip. Period.

The ATR mods you mentioned aren't worth much. And the pump is so old that it is not likely up to the flow ratings of the newest Walbro unit. Question now is: Is this going to be a show queen, or do you want it to move as well? The Duttweiler neck and 3" downpipe are NOT 'stock appearing', and will only reveal weaknesses in your ~10 year old fuel system. Might be time to step into the new century and pony up for some equipment that will support that airflow that you're looking to generate.

strayacres
03-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Keller- I appreciate the reply. The super pump was only just put in less than a year ago, so it's not that old. Unless you simply mean outdated....
As you are very knowledgable about these cars, what would you recommend to enhance performance a bit? I don't need a 10 second strip car.
I am still running the stock filter canister, but with a K&N filter. So from the different forums it looks like I should:
-42.5#injectors
-chip
-cold air kit
-3" downpipe
-Duttwieler neck the intercooler
I know I said I wanted to stay with stock look, and some of these will not look stock but will be close.

Overboost
03-04-2007, 08:02 PM
eric @ turbotweak.com will hook you up with a chip, at a good price. I have seen cars around here running 12's with vituraly stock appearing cars. they just have 19 psi, good fuel systems, and junk that stock air box. I have seen the light myself. you can put it back on for shows, but for go, just plug on a K&N and your good to go.
I have a walboro 360 in tank and 26 psi, no knock, yet....go go cometic head gaskets....

Keller
03-04-2007, 08:11 PM
What is it you want to accomplish, and with what fuel or additive? (i.e. Alcohol, race fuel, etc.) You can go pretty quick without a large downpipe, too. Set a target before you get out the wallet and wrenches.

Overboost
03-04-2007, 08:36 PM
I agree with scott, set a goal and get there one part at a time, dont throw out a bunch of parts that you didnt need to replace just so you can say you have part "X" on your car. its more fun winning and then saying "my car is 95% stock" I am an impulse buyer myself, but I set goals, and then get there, 1 part at a time.