PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft length?

Keller
03-10-2007, 01:04 AM
Anyone get an aftermarket driveshaft built lately?

Trying to determine the tranny case to rear end yoke (edge) length. I'll measure it in the morning. However, I'm surprised this doesn't seem to be a number easy to find.

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/html/b.html

Keller
03-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Here are some numbers I've come up with. Feel free to argue them. I'm just tired of crawling under my car, nose against the bottom, and holding my arms out with a tape measure and peering to each side. :faint:

Other opinions very welcome.

Overall length, trans case to yoke end: 54"
Yoke width (inside, no tabs - 7A in the diagram): 2 5/8"
Trans output shaft protrusion: .625" (measured on a spare trans, out of the car)
U-joint cap diameter: 1 1/8"

monzaz
03-23-2007, 11:39 AM
take your yoke a put it in the trans all the way to bottom out point then pul it out about 1/2 -3/4 inch. now measure if you can hook the tape measure from the u-joint hole to the u saddle on the rearend yoke pull it straight with out pulling out the tranny yoke or moving it. make sure you do not measure diagonal either turn your yoke so the aline as much as possible.

Onother way is a string method tie it to the yoke u-joint hole and pull it to the u-joint strap saddle on the diff yoke mark it with a marker then measure the string.

This method should give the driveshaft builder the number he needs. It would be called the drive shaft center to center u-joint measurement. Ok? Hope that helps. Jim J D Race