PDA

View Full Version : Hello all, first question here!!

madf1man
03-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Just signed up to the site and look forward to thew experience here. I just got a wrecked 87 GN and trying to decide how to proceed. She's at the frame shop now being checked out. If repairs are to continue I'll be looking for some parts. First, axle housing is bent. Is this a special housing and axle for the GN with posi or will any axle and housing work from proper vehicle. I will also need a drivers side door and rocker panel, maybe the rear panel and front fender. Basic question I have is what other cars can I use for parts. Some have said that all the mid 80,s Monte carlos, cutlass's and regals will work. Anyone that can share some more specific info would be appreciated. I actually took this question to some local junk yards but they act like they never heard of or saw a 87 Buick. Which blows me away.Here's a pic although its pretty painful to share.

Keller
03-12-2007, 12:30 PM
*low whistle*

You've got some work ahead of you...

The rear end is an 8.5" 10 bolt. Only compatible housings are GNs & Ts (3.42), and 442s (3.73). Not all are posi. Check for code G80 on the sticker in the trunk to see if your car even had posi, as it was an option.

Doors off a Cutlass or Regal, '81-87 work. '88 RWD Cutlass, too.

madf1man
03-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Its a 3.42 posi. So you are saying the axle housing is pretty specific? I thought it might be more universal and just swap out the innards. As far as body parts, no monte carlos. Thanks for reply and don't let me be a bother.

kenmosher
03-13-2007, 10:00 AM
The housings are specific ...

91rangerturbo
03-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Wow that looks like alot of damage. Yeah you can get alot of body parts to fix that car from 84-87 buick regals. There is more out there than you think.

madf1man
03-15-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the replies. Still waiting on the frame shop evaluation :nope: Got for basically salvage value and am hoping this will allow me to bring it back. Anyone ever heard of straigtening an axle housing??

turbopowered68
03-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Anyone ever heard of straigtening an axle housing??

Yes
My uncle had his axle done
By a guy in MD I can't remember the shop but ill try to get the info for you.
But I think it will cost more to fix and rebuild your rear over just replacing it with a good used one.
David.

madf1man
03-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Just got back from the frame shop and its got top much damage. Frame damge all the way to the rear, body off section in kinda stuff or complete frame. Floor supports folded in trany tunnel. Frame off resto kinda work. Shoulda rasied it and went underneath before I bought but_____. Anyways I'm gonna part her. I'll try some forums to sell and then I'll go to the bay. Thanks