PDA

View Full Version : Possibilities for 11-12 sec times with an 84/85 GN?

Toaster
03-20-2007, 09:52 PM
First I'm new to this board, glad to meet you all.

To my question, if I was to get a 84/85 GN how 'easy' would it be to get a 11-12 second 1/4 mile out of it? Would I be able to get that fast using bolt on-type stuff or would that require engine work?

Thanks

*EDIT* one more question. I've seen a few posts about putting an intercooler on an 84/85 engine(looks like its possible). If the engine can successfully be converted to have an intercooler, would that immediately boost the HP up to 86/87 stock GN levels?

Keller
03-20-2007, 10:53 PM
See the recipe's at http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/recipepage.html There are some 84/85 car recipes.

See some of the articles in this thread (make sure to look since the beginning) regarding adding an intercooler. Also see http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/hotair.html It won't make a 86/87 car out of it instantly.

Toaster
03-20-2007, 11:10 PM
See the recipe's at http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/recipepage.html There are some 84/85 car recipes.

See some of the articles in this thread (make sure to look since the beginning) regarding adding an intercooler. Also see http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/hotair.html It won't make a 86/87 car out of it instantly.

Perfect, thanks.

brad_padgett
03-28-2007, 07:28 PM
I am just finishing my 85 GN soon and you can get a hot air into your goal range but it is not cheap. In my experience it will cost over $6000 in order to get there. If you do you do the work yourself it is cheaper. This price does not include an intercooler but includes a Razor Alky kit. Good luck- Brad

Toaster
03-28-2007, 09:21 PM
I am just finishing my 85 GN soon and you can get a hot air into your goal range but it is not cheap. In my experience it will cost over $6000 in order to get there. If you do you do the work yourself it is cheaper. This price does not include an intercooler but includes a Razor Alky kit. Good luck- Brad

Did you follow one of the 'recipes' on this site, or do it your own way?

brad_padgett
03-28-2007, 10:30 PM
I did it my way. The recipes or my way all work. Where are you in IL? I am in Carpentersville IL. I have been there and made all the mistakes. Let me know if I can help. Brad

Toaster
03-29-2007, 09:13 PM
I did it my way. The recipes or my way all work. Where are you in IL? I am in Carpentersville IL. I have been there and made all the mistakes. Let me know if I can help. Brad

I live in Chicago right now, but grew up in Elgin so I'm familiar with your area. Thanks for the offer, I'll probably have a lot of stupid questions at first. This is my first time working on a turbo car.

Do you know if there are many others from the Chicagoland area on these boards? Just curious.

brad_padgett
03-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Most of the active members in our area are intercooled and do not post on the Hot Air section. I am a lone ranger and primarily post on Turbobuick.com in the hot air section. I have been there and seen it all. I can definatly help because I have come a long way with my 85. Check out the thread-Turbobuick.com-Hot air PICS and you can see my car as well as some of my mods- I am capable of going into the twelves. Better yet call me. 847-836-6225. Brad

Keller
03-29-2007, 10:37 PM
You can always provide your own 'brew' to add to the recipes...

Toaster
03-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Most of the active members in our area are intercooled and do not post on the Hot Air section. I am a lone ranger and primarily post on Turbobuick.com in the hot air section. I have been there and seen it all. I can definatly help because I have come a long way with my 85. Check out the thread-Turbobuick.com-Hot air PICS and you can see my car as well as some of my mods- I am capable of going into the twelves. Better yet call me. 847-836-6225. Brad

Thanks again for the offer, I'll probably take you up on it. I am still thinking about what to do in the performance arena. My car needs a lot of work just to be up to par, so I have a bit of time to think about how I want to go about increasing performance. Some ideas I'm thinking about are making it an intercooled setup, and/or doing twin turbos (not sure how much better 1/4 times will be but think acceleration will be much better in lower rpm ranges).

Also, where is a link to your pics? I checked turbobuicks.com and don't see a hotair specific section.

kingcrab54
04-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Brad,

I'm a couple weekends from having the 84 T-Type rebuilt drive train all back together. After sitting 10 years, there was much to do. Replaced fuel tank, will install Walbro's new replacement pump for the 340, hotwire, AFPR, and some new lines. Only mods to date. Of course we went through the brakes, trans, rebuild converter D5 to stock,
and turbo stock.
What mods seam most logical after we finish up the assembly of bracket's and can fire engine?
This car must drive 100 miles a day. But low to mid 13's would be desired.

I am concerned with the quality of today's fuel with a stock chip, the age of the stock injectors, and the intake manifold looks very restrictive.
How much injector is too much for a fairly stock hot air car?
No way these things can use 60's without a lot of other mods and work right.

I am thinking, to do chip and injectors as 1 mod.
But If I have the intake ported at a later time,(heads are gasket matched and pockets are open) does that affect the chip calibration?

Of course a alky kit would bring it alive.

brad_padgett
04-08-2007, 02:32 PM
First mod is to get a scan tool which can read your 84/85 ECM and learn how to use the tool and tune your car with what you have installed. This agodd start before you start throwing parts on such as ALKY. The Alky system requires the 87 ECM and a special chip for example. Good luck. Brad

brad_padgett
04-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Check out Turbobuick.com-General-sticky- Best bang for your buck. Brad

kingcrab54
04-11-2007, 02:12 AM
Got scan tool snap on, and mac, that can read knock, timing retard, o2's, I don't know about boost?

I am guessing the scan tool is to help adjust whatever mix you have to work together. Like fuel pressure and boost(waste gate actuator rod), and to help verify O2's in correct range? I have done some injection system setup's on some other cars, never quite like these.

I was just asking your advice about sizing injectors for a stock turbo. I ones in the car are 20+ years old. I might change cam and port the stock intake. I don't fore see other internal mod's. :pat:

They don't supply chips for alky systems for 84-84 ECM's?

:what: