PDA

View Full Version : Advise for replacing fuelines from take to engine?

kingcrab54
03-21-2007, 11:04 PM
The lines on the car are very rusty on the outside. They also look very small in area to flow well with a high volume pump.

Was thinking to replace the old lines, I could use some Moroso Alum fuel line,,but it will not work with high pressure E F I / S F I injection pumps. Any good ideas about what type of line would work well for a high volume fuel system.

I would like to run 1/2" on feed side and 3/8" return.

Could I use high pressure brake line? :)

zeus87gn
03-22-2007, 08:47 AM
I would think the fcty size lines would flow just fine. I have never heard of anyone changing them for that reason. If you want to change them due to condition, change them with a fresh set of lines made for the car.

I have a Red Armstrong high volume pump and the fcty lines. Been there for years and don't have a problem with running out of fuel....that I am aware of.

I'm sure others will put in their :2c:

kingcrab54
03-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Most of my experience is with low pressure systems..ie..carb(s). We only run the pump @ 15-22 psi and regulate it down to 6-7 for the carb.

We found with large engines we could not supply the volume required through the stock lines. We found some restrictions in the pickup in the tank, the pickup tube is crimped to the top of sending unit with only 3/16" inside after crimp. The high G's added to the pressure in the line against the pump causing it to internally bypass lowering pressure. After install of large lines and pickup tube we could run pump pressure lower and still keep the fuel pressure steady at all rpm's and loads.

High pressure systems might not have this issue as much.

I haven't been able to find replacment stock fuel lines for an 84 T-Type.

Both Summit and Jegs have factory type double wall steel line kits. Thinking of using one of them to make the replacement lines.

zeus87gn
03-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Contact Brian at GBodyParts.com. He may have some replacements. They would probably be used, but may be in better condition than what you have.

The Buick 231 isn't what I would call a large engine. But it does need a fair ammount of fuel based on your boost. I would think the stock lines are sufficient for most street applications. I have seem some race setups that used large lines and monster pumps, but they also have turbos large enough that a stock turbo will fit into the inlet bell.

Just be sure you have an adjustable FPR and good seals on the lines. The return line off the FPR will keep any cavitation from occuring at the pump.

kingcrab54
03-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the advice. I contacted Brian, and have a couple of used replacements coming. I looked at the sending unit and didn't find the type of issues we have seen on other units. Main line doesn't look restricted.

Got new tank, walbro's latest 255lph hp pump (F20000169) and hot wire kit. :tup: