PDA

View Full Version : street chip/race chip

Overboost
03-25-2007, 12:50 PM
just a thought.
I had a TT race chip for 104 octane and 24 psi installed. with 98 octane and 19 PSI I was getting 14 degrees of spark retard and knock to no end.
I put in my street chip from an unknown maker (came with car, unmarked) and 92 octane fuel and 19PSI I was getting 3 degrees of retard? the timing in the race chip is 24 and street is 20
why is my street chip performing better than my race chip? I am not sure if it is the octane requirements of each but the timing is only 4 degrees apart and boost was the same.
also the street chip is for a TH 400 trans so no lockup unless I do it manually with the switch. and street chip had a slight hessitation/miss off idle every now and then, not all the time. everything else was the same. again, just an observatoin.

BastardGNX
04-11-2007, 02:13 AM
4 degrees of timing is actually a really big difference. With that much knock, you should not run the car hard until you either lower boost, pull back the timing further, or run the street chip with the lower timing on race gas and eliminate the knock retard. No knock and less timing or boost is always faster than a car pulling the timing all the time and not to mention MUCH safer. You do like the engine that's in it now right?