PDA

View Full Version : I could use some help. A friend dogged out my GN.

MP2406
04-01-2007, 12:00 AM
I recently purchased a 87 Buick Grand National a couple weeks ago and one of the things that amazed me was how smooth and tight the ride was for such a high mileage car. Feels like it's never hit a curb in its life.

Problem is a friend ended up having to drive it for me a couple nights ago. When i drove it the next day i instantly noticed that the car handles real squirrelly all of the sudden. It was like i was in a different car. The only thing i could think to do was to check the rear air bag suspension the previous owner installed and the right one was completely empty. It doesn't leak and i just checked both the day before when i aired up a tire. Putting air back in didn't change much though. Anyone know what he could have done? Where should i start on this?

NOTACARLO
04-02-2007, 12:01 AM
I would start at the friends house. Toothpicks under the toenails if you know what I mean.

IL KIM
04-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Did you check the air pressure in your tires?

monzaz
04-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Check the shocks too in the rear with the air bags deflatted. push up and down and check the rebound in the suspension. Check to also make sure all the mounting points on the four link control arms are all intacked. if an upper lost a bolt that will really make your rear sway and feel really messed up.

Air in the tires is a very good place to start as stated. control arm bushings --- one could have taken a poop. With a high mileage vehicle anything can go at any time. Jim

LEGACY_GN
04-18-2007, 12:00 PM
I know this seems to simple but it sounds to me like it needs an alignment.

buickfever
07-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Front sway bar end links break all the time...especially when someone else beats the crap out of his friends TR. And with a broken link, the sway bar barely works. Makes a big difference to the cars owner, who knows how it should feel.

Yankee John
07-18-2009, 01:05 AM
I know this seems to simple but it sounds to me like it needs an alignment.

+1

Your first mistake was letting your friend drive it :)

My guess is alignment too. Your buddy likely got it sideways and put it into a curb and knocked out the alignment. Been there done that.........

John