PDA

View Full Version : WB O2 bung placement

Keller
04-02-2007, 01:14 AM
LC-1 is here. Houston downpipe is off. Going to have the bung welded on. Trying to determine where to get it placed.

The bottom of the pipe doesn't have much length at/after the elbow. So I'm trying to determine where the bung should be placed. Right now, I'm thinking right at the bend of the elbow, before where the test pipe or cat joins the downpipe joins up. Definitely on the left (driver's) side.

Does this sound correct?

Any pics of installations?

kenmosher
04-02-2007, 09:46 AM
I have mine at the bend of the downpipe (just before the joint at about the 3 o'clock position (towards the center of the car away from the frame rail).

IL KIM
04-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Mine LC1 is on its way! Thinking I would put it after the DP, and facing 6 o'clock so I and lay down next to car and put it in/out easier, and a little further from the heat source. Why would you want it facing the drivers side? Also, I hear we should angle the bung up so the water doesn't flow into the sensor.

Keller
04-02-2007, 12:23 PM
just before the joint at about the 3 o'clock position
Toward the inside (i.e. transmission side), correct?

So would this not be the "9 o'clock" position? Since the driver's side is the "left", I guess I think of "clock" positions looking from the driver's seat.

Keller
04-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Why would you want it facing the drivers side?
The lead is not that flexible. If you want it to scrape the pavement, or be snared be road debris, have at it.

IL KIM
04-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Guess I'll find out when it get's to my doorstep. Are you planning on permanently wiring the lead to the sensor location? I heard the sensor shouldn't be installed permanently (shorter life), so I wasn't thinking of the sensor wire being permanently routed either.

chrisgarrett
04-02-2007, 09:28 PM
The sensor is not permanently installed. You have a bung welded on so the sensor can be removed. The instructions will tell you not to put it lower than 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock because of all the moisture in the pipe. If you put it at 6 o'clock it will be ruined by water from the exhaust.
I put mine just before the test pipe at the 10 o'clock position on the driver's side. The wire then goes up over the trans to the back of the motor. My LC1 is then zip tied to the top of the harness and the wires go thru the hole in the firewall. Some guys have cut holes in the trans shroud and put the LC1 unit in the car, under the console.

PaCemkr86
04-02-2007, 11:14 PM
http://krylonracing.com/paceGN2/wfohanger1/DSCN1917.JPG

bung here

Keller
04-05-2007, 12:07 PM
The instructions will tell you not to put it lower than 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock because of all the moisture in the pipe.
I delved into the box last night, and read the 'quick start' stuff looking for the 10-and-2 reference. Then I realized that the instructions were on the CD. Found the CD, and...its damaged. *sigh* Now I need to get ahold of one of those. Regardless, I think I'll shoot for the 10 o'clock position near the lower curve of the Houston pipe, before the test pipe.

chrisgarrett
04-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Manuals on online:
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support.php

Keller
04-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks! :tup:

Keller
04-05-2007, 01:17 PM
http://krylonracing.com/paceGN2/wfohanger1/DSCN1917.JPG
900 F limit. Isn't it a little hot at the top end at WOT?

PaCemkr86
04-05-2007, 04:17 PM
i havent had a problem with it..

chrisgarrett
04-05-2007, 04:44 PM
They usually advise installing the sensor as far as possible from a turbo, but before the cat (if you have one). Well, you'll know if it's too hot if you start going through sensors. :flame:

PaCemkr86
04-05-2007, 08:42 PM
http://www.rjcracing.com/RJC_Buick_Products/_New__Product_Developement/DPcomparo6.JPG

if you look at this pic from RJC's site he mounts his around the same area i did

Keller
04-09-2007, 12:16 AM
I've had my bung welded. Pic attached. Mounted at about the 10 o'clock position. The pipe was off the car. Weld done very nicely. Big thanks to Dan of Hyperformance Racing. http://www.hyperformanceracing.com/

Hope I made the right choice. A lot more room on the other side, but then were would I run the wire? I've seen people run the wire through the door, but that just isn't how I do things. Obviously going to be a little more work to change it out on that side, but it won't be done that often.

Now I have to start thinking about where to put the calibration switch and LED? Guess that won't be used that frequently. Any suggestions on good places to put the switch them?

chrisgarrett
04-09-2007, 08:45 AM
I put mine on the ds at 10 oclock and then ran the sensor wire up over the trans to the back of the intake which is where I have the LC1 zip tied to the wire harness. I then pulled the wires thru the existing firewall hole. Works out really well the connection between the LC1 and the sensor is just to the right of the heater hoses/valve.

chrisgarrett
04-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Actually, I lied about the zip tie. It's actually attached to an existing hole in the plastic just behind where you see it.

Keller
05-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Sounds like a plan. :tup:

Any thoughts about where to place the "calibration" switch and LED? Suppose it isn't something needed on a daily basis. Might be best kept away from accidental presses.