PDA

View Full Version : 87' Grand National

BadAssSS
11-23-2004, 10:25 PM
What are the stock 1/4 mile specs for a 87' GN. I have a real nice 86' Monte SS and I may plan on getting another G-body or F-body (Iroc-Z).

Keller
11-24-2004, 04:09 AM
We really need a better category for these sort of questions. I'll think something up...

About 14.6 easily. Maybe a bit more with good traction and a skilled driver. One magazine managed 13.9 back in the production era on a cooler day.

Simple chip change and you've got a mid-13 car with no downsides. Low 13s when the temps go down. And this is a nearly 20 year old car!

dgreen1069
11-24-2004, 12:45 PM
My car came with a chip labeled MILDMOD. I removed it as soon as I purchased the car since I didn't know exactly what perimeters were changed from original. I do know that nothing else (including the thermostat) was changed from original. Is it safe to run one of these chips without changing anything else? Is there much of a performance gain with just a chip change and nothing else?

Keller
11-24-2004, 06:16 PM
Is there much of a performance gain with just a chip change and nothing else?

There can be. Chips adjust boost, fueling, and timing. However, you really need to update some of the systems that weren't up to snuff from the factory, plus all the ones that are old and weak from age at this point.

Fuel pumps were marginal right out of the box. As is the wiring going to them. Injectors that are getting close to 20 years old in some cases just might need to be cleaned...or replaced. Etc, etc...

My experience:

Back in '92, I got into a 'stock' muscle car vs. hi-tech car shootout. Rules were that cars had to run DOTs and be basically stock. Plus, no faster than 13.8 or you would be DQ'ed. I'd run my '87 T at the track a few times on radials and turned 14.6 consistently. I added a stock size K&N in the stock airbox. Might have put one of Kirbans' 'lids' to replace the bottom of the cannister on, but that was it. Ultra stock.

I had just bought a used Kenne-Bell 9006 chip (I would not recommend...mistake #1) from someone in the GSXtra. They told me to expect 0.4 improvement. I figured that wouldn't make me win, but I could get through the T&T rounds and have some fun. The KB chip make the car knock (no scan tool - mistake #2) so I bought some 104+ octane booster (mistake #3) to help. I did a few T&T passes with the stock chip: all 14.5-14.6. Then I put in the KB chip and the 104+. First pass:13.6. I was so happy, I started hot-lapping the car and it slowed a tenth or two. The next morning was a little cold, the wind was at our backs, and I somehow launched without slipping. Managed a 13.3 or 13.4; but just that once. The 5.0 boys were having a fit, and one of them snatched my slip away to scan the splits. They were querying me hard to know what I had done to magically get that extra second. I was a dumbfounded as they were.

I ended up having to dump at the 800' or 1000' mark to not break out, and eventually lost on a double breakout. But that event made me want to learn more about what was going on under the hood and eventually made me start the mailing list that started the site and more. I didn't know anything about what I was doing, and I've only learned by other people being able to share what they learn along the way.

GNXDad
12-10-2004, 09:28 PM
There can be. Chips adjust boost, fueling, and timing. However, you really need to update some of the systems that weren't up to snuff from the factory, plus all the ones that are old and weak from age at this point.

Fuel pumps were marginal right out of the box. As is the wiring going to them. Injectors that are getting close to 20 years old in some cases just might need to be cleaned...or replaced. Etc, etc...

My experience:

Back in '92, I got into a 'stock' muscle car vs. hi-tech car shootout. Rules were that cars had to run DOTs and be basically stock. Plus, no faster than 13.8 or you would be DQ'ed. I'd run my '87 T at the track a few times on radials and turned 14.6 consistently. I added a stock size K&N in the stock airbox. Might have put one of Kirbans' 'lids' to replace the bottom of the cannister on, but that was it. Ultra stock.

I had just bought a used Kenne-Bell 9006 chip (I would not recommend...mistake #1) from someone in the GSXtra. They told me to expect 0.4 improvement. I figured that wouldn't make me win, but I could get through the T&T rounds and have some fun. The KB chip make the car knock (no scan tool - mistake #2) so I bought some 104+ octane booster (mistake #3) to help. I did a few T&T passes with the stock chip: all 14.5-14.6. Then I put in the KB chip and the 104+. First pass:13.6. I was so happy, I started hot-lapping the car and it slowed a tenth or two. The next morning was a little cold, the wind was at our backs, and I somehow launched without slipping. Managed a 13.3 or 13.4; but just that once. The 5.0 boys were having a fit, and one of them snatched my slip away to scan the splits. They were querying me hard to know what I had done to magically get that extra second. I was a dumbfounded as they were.

I ended up having to dump at the 800' or 1000' mark to not break out, and eventually lost on a double breakout. But that event made me want to learn more about what was going on under the hood and eventually made me start the mailing list that started the site and more. I didn't know anything about what I was doing, and I've only learned by other people being able to share what they learn along the way.

Wow, so this is how the site began. :)