PDA

View Full Version : Need New Rear End housing

DaveT
04-18-2007, 03:22 AM
Hi guys I need your help finding a new or used rearend housing for my 84 gn she took a lil spin at the track and bent an axle , I thought that was the only reason why it was leaking gear lube out or the passenger side housing but replaced the axle (which was most defiantly bent) and it still leaks so I'm afraid my housing is bent...any one now where I can find one and also if you think its another problem.
Thanks For your Helpp
:doh:

PaCemkr86
04-18-2007, 10:10 AM
did you replace the axle seal also??
did you put in a new axle or a used one ?

DaveT
04-18-2007, 11:08 AM
did you replace the axle seal also??
did you put in a new axle or a used one ?
Yes I replaced the seals and the axles were brand new superior axles.

PaCemkr86
04-18-2007, 11:30 AM
can you visually see that the housing is bent?? and its postively leaking gear oil around the new seal ?

DaveT
04-18-2007, 11:40 AM
can you visually see that the housing is bent?? and its postively leaking gear oil around the new seal ?
Yes It is leaking fairly badly and it appears to be coming out of the seal because it is leaking onto the wheel and tire. As far as the housing being physically bent at the time of replacing the axles I didn't pay much attention to it. Also could too much fluid in the rearend be pushing it out of the seal?

novaderrik
04-20-2007, 04:24 AM
yes, too much oil in the rear axle might cause the seals to leak.
as for whether or not it's bent, did the new axle slide in easily? if so, then it's probably straight.
you can look over the axle tubes for signs of bending- things like grease and rust flaking off at the point where it bent. look where the tubes go into the center section- if it's gonna bend anywhere, it would probably be there.
i would think that if anything was bent, putting the car on a good 4 wheel alignment rack would show a rear tire cambered out at a funny angle. hell, just park the car on a level surface and eyeball the alignment from the rear of the car. if it's crooked, it will be visible.

monzaz
04-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Did you hit anything with the rear tire rim? Is the housing rusty? I really can't believe a spin out would bent the axle tube unless it was a extreme stop like in a crack or curb helping that factor. When you installed the axle seal did you grease and or lube it prior to installing the axle??? Because that will eat the seal real fast if you did not. You must lube the complete area surface of that rubber seal and also The seal must be in the tube square too . If these were done then move on to the next area ... which might very well be a bent tube. I have done some pretty dumb - off road and squirrely slide outs but never bent a axle tube that way. Jim

DaveT
04-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Did you hit anything with the rear tire rim? Is the housing rusty? I really can't believe a spin out would bent the axle tube unless it was a extreme stop like in a crack or curb helping that factor. When you installed the axle seal did you grease and or lube it prior to installing the axle??? Because that will eat the seal real fast if you did not. You must lube the complete area surface of that rubber seal and also The seal must be in the tube square too . If these were done then move on to the next area ... which might very well be a bent tube. I have done some pretty dumb - off road and squirrely slide outs but never bent a axle tube that way. Jim
No I didn't hit a curb it was a back country road with hairpins and files all around, with small embankments before the fields, I hit one of those and got launched and landed on the passenger side wheel upon touch down :puke: . I did grease the seal before sliding it in but have discovered the problem. When I replaced the axles I noticed that the passenger side "bearing seat" in the housing was marred like it had previously spun a bearing, I tried to clean it up and then put the bearing back in(this was when I first replaced the axles after the wreck). This lead up to the leaking problem.I was very worried when I cracked the rear end open and so a sh!t load of metal on the magnet:duh: .
Check out the bearing

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/buickgntuner/DSC01871.jpg

The thing is f.u.b.a.r ,when it pushed out like that it pushed out on the top of the seal causing it to get cocked out and caused this.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/buickgntuner/DSC01896.jpg

Well guys I guess I found the problem :ugh:

The best solution I could come up with for now is surfacing the bearing seat with a grinder then jb welding th bearing in so I have my fingers crossed (I know thats jury rigged but It was on short notice and I have to be out of this house in a few weeks.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/buickgntuner/DSC01867.jpg

Heres the bearing in waiting for the j b to cure ,I really hope this will work.

On a lighter note heres my custom gauge job me and my dad did :woot:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/buickgntuner/DSC01875.jpg

monzaz
04-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Usually you can just score the inside of the axle bearing mounting surface where the bearing seats kind of how you would do a valve guide. Do you put sealent on the outer diameter of your seal where it presses into the housing? If not you could have your leak from there. always use the sealent. I see in your picture of the seal it does not have any kind of extra sealent that is why I am bringing this up. I am sure I am going to get the ' I never had to ' quote but never take a chance. there are imperfections in the housing scrapes from people removing seals with screw drivers and hammers etc.... Good luck with it and I hope your trick works for you. I pitting the guy that has to try and remove that sucker down the road. Jim