PDA

View Full Version : What temperature range should a GN run at with a 160 t-stat?

kna4977
04-25-2007, 01:30 PM
This may be a dumb question, but I ordered a 160 t-stat, and installed it this morning, but it never runs anywhere near 160 degrees. More from 175-200. I want to make sure what it should run at before I contact the vendor. thanks

chrisgarrett
04-25-2007, 02:59 PM
The 160 degree thermostat opens when the coolant in the engine block reaches 160, allowing water to flow from the engine block to the radiator. Temperatures vary widely from car to car depending on the condition of the radiator, ambient temps, a/c, etc. A front mount IC will also cause higher temps. I'm sure the thermostat is okay. If that's your original radiator, it's probably full of crap and needs to be re-cored or replaced. Also, be sure your fan(s) are functioning properly.
I have a stock location IC, new radiator, and dual fans and my summer temps range around 165-180 depending on the weather and a/c usage. In the winter, my temps rarely go over 166-170.

Keller
04-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Check if when your chip activates (or is supposed to activate) your fans. Perhaps a fan relay is not functioning.

Or the cooling system may just need cleaning.

kna4977
04-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Check if when your chip activates (or is supposed to activate) your fans. Perhaps a fan relay is not functioning.

Or the cooling system may just need cleaning.

Probably just need a cleaning.......How do I check if the chip is activating?

kna4977
04-25-2007, 05:59 PM
The 160 degree thermostat opens when the coolant in the engine block reaches 160, allowing water to flow from the engine block to the radiator. Temperatures vary widely from car to car depending on the condition of the radiator, ambient temps, a/c, etc. A front mount IC will also cause higher temps. I'm sure the thermostat is okay. If that's your original radiator, it's probably full of crap and needs to be re-cored or replaced. Also, be sure your fan(s) are functioning properly.
I have a stock location IC, new radiator, and dual fans and my summer temps range around 165-180 depending on the weather and a/c usage. In the winter, my temps rarely go over 166-170.

Stock IC, original radiator, fans seem to function properly.......they cut on sometimes after I drive it for a while, usually sitting at a stoplight and not moving, they usually cut on after I turn it off in the garage for quite a while after it has been driven a while, and always turn on when the A/C is on....

kna4977
04-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Would a flush be of any benefit.