PDA

View Full Version : How to replace A-arm bushings

kna4977
04-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Can anyone give me an idea of what it will take to replace the A-arm bushings? Trying to decide whether to tackle it myself or pay someone else to do it.

WH1Regal
04-30-2007, 07:46 PM
It would be a situation where the right tools make the job easy. The actual removal of the arm isn't bad, but if you can, rent a little press kit (like a C-clamp with special bushings). Most tool places rent them for free with a deposit. It makes the actual removal and insertion of the old/new bushings easy. If you feel comfortable changing out springs or ball joints, the A-arm bushings aren't that bad. You will of course need an alignment after this work, so you'll have to farm out a little of the work.

I personally like to do the work myself, so it might take me all day, but if I have the time off and nothing planned, it's what's owning a TR is all about.

81 elky
04-30-2007, 09:43 PM
I too am in the middle of changing mine out. If you learn anything noteworthy, please post it. Got the springs out today, haven't pulled the arms out yet though. Let us know how it went.

kna4977
04-30-2007, 09:49 PM
It would be a situation where the right tools make the job easy. The actual removal of the arm isn't bad, but if you can, rent a little press kit (like a C-clamp with special bushings). Most tool places rent them for free with a deposit. It makes the actual removal and insertion of the old/new bushings easy. If you feel comfortable changing out springs or ball joints, the A-arm bushings aren't that bad. You will of course need an alignment after this work, so you'll have to farm out a little of the work.

I personally like to do the work myself, so it might take me all day, but if I have the time off and nothing planned, it's what's owning a TR is all about.

Think I'll farm this one out.......that is, if I can find someone that will do as good or better of a job than me..........................

AT7WE2
04-30-2007, 11:28 PM
I've been through the process three times. All three times I was able to do everything except remove the old bushings and install the new ones. I had to have the old bushings torched out and new ones pressed in on a hydraulic press. Not really a big deal, just have to find someone you can trust who is also willing to do just that portion of the work. Some places won't do it because they're not making enough money off you.

HTH

monzaz
05-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Back yard removal:

-Need a good big Vice 0
-good selection of 1/2 inch sockets
-Air Hammer and chisel bit would be the best for removal
-Dead blow hammer if not a good 3 pound sledge.

Basically torching out the rubber is easiest but stinks and pollutes... then crush the shell and hammer out.

NO torch - try to crush the the shell around equally with a cold chisel to try and decrease the diameter making it easier to hammer out the bushing it also helps to loosen the rust factor. Use the chisels sharp edge to get under the cntrol arm bushing stop lip. The vise helps here to hold that control arm. work your way around the diameter of the bushing lip. Keep working it from the back middle and lip eqaully or it will just get stuck. If you have time and patients you can do it all andsame some money. SOME COME OUT EASY SOME DO NOT...LOL.

After removal clean the arms up try not to put too much paint in the bushing control arm holes. Thatwill just make it more difficult to get the bushings back in. Clean the burrs and run over the inner bushing hole with some sand paper or fine round file. DO NOT CHANGE THE SIZE JUST CLEAN IT.

If you have a small press to reinstall GREAT! if not Dead blow hammer and the 1/2 inch sockets come in handy to stop the thin part of the control arm from crushing in or out from the dead blow or sledge hammer . Find the correct size hieght to go between the inside lower edge with the least amount of support. (will help keep it square.) aLL THIS BEING DONE ON A VISE WITH THE JAWS OPEN ENOUGH TO GET THE CONTROL ARM SITUATED FOR A GOOD FLAT HAMMER STRIKE.

Use some light oil on the out side of the bushing sleeve to help slide it along when hammering. ON the hammering- you do not have to beat the crap out of the thing either. Cleaning and deburring goes far in the reinstallation (backyard or press in professionally)

PLEASE WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!! You never know what will fly or pop up at your eyes. Becareful.

Remember you will find your own ways to make thing easier for your personal install technique. It is not a perfect way but I remember doing it . I will either teach you that it was niot too bad :tup: or teach you that you should have someone else do it next time :deadhorse ....lol. Good luck, Jim :2c: