PDA

View Full Version : performance???

Robert300476
05-01-2007, 02:17 AM
i have been reading this site and others and would like some feedback to see if i am grasping the big picture of the turbo regal.
when rebuilding an engine for a hot air 84 t-type i think i am understanding that the only changes from stock that net any real gain in performance is a mild camshaft up grade, valvesprings to match and gasket matching on the heads,intake and exhaust.
i am begining to think anything above this would be over kill and not realize
any gain in performance when compared to price.
if i understand all the information here and other site is that almost all performance gains are in the area of available air to the turbo, the size of the turbo, a free flowing exhaust, and a good supply of fuel.
and the key to it all is managing all of this in the best balance possible through the ecm chips, fuel presure adjustments, and keeping all systems in good repair.
am i getting the big picture????

kenmosher
05-01-2007, 09:44 AM
You are on the right track ... basically any internal mods to the engine are the least bang for the buck.

Air volume (Turbo, intake plumbing) , fuel delivery (injectors, pump, alky), and spark (good wires, plugs, coil pack) are where the horsepower is. On the intercooled cars, many 11 second cars without ever taking the valve covers off.

As far as internal engine stuff, the most bang for the buck is in the headwork. Camshafts are almost the last peformance mod, since they need headwork to make any appreciable difference in overall power (instead of just shifting the torque curve around).

Almost every other internal mod has to do with reliability when you start making serious horsepower.

brad_padgett
05-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Ken is right on with his advice. I have been there and worked through it and what he is telling you is 100% correct. The real problem is your wallet. Making a Hot Air move is expensive. Good luck- Brad

pfredricks
05-02-2007, 09:24 AM
I agree with Ken and Brad.

IMHO the intake manifold is the big impediment to hot air power due to the maze the air has to follow to reach the ports. And there are few things, port matching and bigger turbo come to the fore, short of the radical to be done about it.

Is it okay to use the word "impediment" on this site? :ow:

brad_padgett
05-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Ken- Great response- you hit the nail on the head. I have been there and done it. Take-care- Brad