PDA

View Full Version : A/C compressor question

Keller
05-07-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm replacing my A/C compressor and lines on my '87 T. Finally took the little protective panel off the back of the new compressor and...well...now things look like they're going to get a little complicated.

The old compressor had embedded O-rings. The new one has bores cast into the compressor, and a selection of flat O-rings enshrouded in steel to select from, in addition to a pair of aluminum inserts of different thicknesses. So I tried placing the odd O-rings on the back of the compressor. Seem to fit OK if I select the right ones. However, the inserts don't seem to fit anything. On one side they drop right into the compressor if I'm not careful.

Reading the instructions carefully, here is what I think I need:
Suction side: Black sealing washer 52457910 (not in kit!)
Short insert 6559423 (is in kit)
Discharge side: Green sealing washer 2724890 (is in kit)
No insert

Any of this make sense to anyone?

Pics of old compressor, new compressor, line, and sealing washers/inserts attached.

Ts86ttype
05-07-2007, 11:51 PM
If I remember right, the inserts are for other hose appliactions.Pick the orings that bring the a/c compressor reliefs up to level so the pipe fitting will sit down on them level and the bolt inbetween the fitting will make the fitting crush down evenly when tightened. They should seal great.

Keller
05-08-2007, 12:30 AM
Have you used this particular compressor or setup before?

Ts86ttype
05-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Yes I have. I found one of my old GM bulletins about the sealing washer usage and I was right about the two small collars. They are use on the flat style hose manifold. Your hose manifold already has built in collars. You also don't have to use any lubrication on those new style sealing washers.

Keller
05-08-2007, 11:25 PM
Good to hear.

I happened to pick up what I was told was the replacement # for the "black" sealing washer from a GM dealer. It is a smaller outside diameter (just like the red and green), but thinner than anything in the package with the compressor. :-(

What I really need on the should be thicker than the large diameter "yellow", thicker than small diameter "black", but closer to what the "red" is thickness-wise on the suction side.

So why not use the "red"?

Although the suction side is set up for a large diameter seal, the inside diameter of the small diameter seals is the same. I've test fit the "red" seal up in this location. Its .010-015" thicker than the "black" seal, and much thicker than the "yellow" seal. I think this is what I'll use in this location. Two good A/C certified mechanics have agreed with this strategy.

Ts86ttype
05-09-2007, 12:32 AM
I agree with them. Those seals sound like they fit well and when the hose manifold is in place you should get a good crush and seal. Go for it!

IL KIM
05-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Keller; what kind of freon are you planning on using? I need to evac fill my system as well.... have you heard of duracool?

Keller
05-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Going to use R134a. Don't see any reason to use anything else. It has worked well in other cars as a conversion charge. Works well in one of my Reattas, and ElectraJim's GN.

IL KIM
05-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks. Duracool is supposed to be more effecient. I used it before. http://www.duracool.com/

Keller
05-23-2007, 05:13 PM
I set up the compressor with the red/green combo. The nearby 'ace' mechanic that I trust to touch my rides tried to evacuate the system, and found that the seal(s) leaked. Apparently that set just isn't correct. :ugh:

I've already been through his entire inventory of seals with no luck. I also have a call in to one vendor who was at the Nats and was selling new compressors. They promised to call me back after trying to find out what works from their local A/C tech.

Still trying. Going ~5 years with no A/C is getting a little old. This is a Buick!

PhillyTurboSix
05-23-2007, 06:29 PM
I went down this same road 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure I know where you got your compressor if my guess is right and when I took it to my mech to be installed he said what is this gettho $hit. Well we went at it and could not get it to seal at all. He actually took some time and tryed to make it work. We did nothing but waste freon trying to make it seal. I don't know how those things could ever work on our application! I sent the compressor and all that crap back to where I got it and went with a reman from the local parts supplyer and it bolted right on perfect! Those are some kinda universal set up that sucks IMO. Send all that crap back and get one from a parts house.. install and done! My AC blows ice cubes with 134a.

PaCemkr86
05-23-2007, 06:55 PM
got one for the GN 2 years ago from Auto Zone still blowing cold !

Keller
05-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Mine is an AC Delco unit. And it is their newer style, purchased from a Delco parts source, and it alleged to fit this app as well as many others. It isn't aftermarket. I imagine a reman original compressor might be less hassle in this particular arena.

A friend has this same compressor, installed at the dealer, and they made it work. However, it was long enough ago that the back is dirty and I can't ID the seals. Not without taking his hoses off. And I'm not going to do that. Nor will he let me. ;)

I have a call in to the mechanic (a TR owner) at the dealer as well. However, for a variety of reasons, I'm not sure I'll hear from him right away.

PhillyTurboSix
05-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Ah ok.. hmm well there is a vendor on the other boards who sells the same set up and I thought that's where you got it from. I didn't like playing with those things and we could never make it work no matter how we messed with it. Hopefully you'll have some better luck with it then I did!

Ts86ttype
05-23-2007, 09:59 PM
I have installed both aftermarket a/c compressor and lots of ac delco and the sealing washers in the compressor kits worked. I found a GM bulletin #92-1B-23 that might help you. Go to your local GM dealer parts department and see if you can get the right sealing kit from the bulletin numbers to install the a/c compressor.

Keller
05-24-2007, 03:22 PM
921B23 NOV 91 A/C - Compressor Sealing Washer Redesigned

Interesting. Seems like this only applies to trucks from what little I can tell. Have not read the bulletin, but that number does not apply to the TRs from what I can tell. Will try to get my hands on a copy.

Ts86ttype
05-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Yes I know it does apply to trucks, but the a/c compressor is just about the same and maybe if you could look a seal kit it might work,since your having problems. I called my GM parts guy and he said the new seal kit he lists for 82 to 86 regals is #2724575. You might try it. He said the 87 regal is not listed for some reason but he will look into it for me. Hope this will help. I know I've done these compressors before and got them to seal. We just got to fine the right style and thickness seals to make this work.
Tom

Keller
05-25-2007, 09:41 AM
I had it on good authority that 2724575 was a replacement number for 52457910. See earlier in this thread. I do have a pair of these (I think...have 1 handy) and it is a hair thinner than the 'red' sealing washer. That's why I opted not to use it. Not saying this one isn't right, but it appeared to be a little thin.

Perhaps I'll try swapping it out with the red one.

Ts86ttype
05-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Keller; I don't know if I'm helping you or giving you more greef! I'll contack my GM parts guy and see if I can get more info on the 87 gbody a/c compressor. This shouldn't be such a pain in the rear! The only thing that I can think of is that when they machined the compressor for the new style seals they went too deep and you cannot get a seal to crush and make a tight sealing surface. A/C delco compressors do work well, somthing is just amiss here.