PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to make a safe (to the car) 500+HP Turbo Regal?

kna4977
07-21-2007, 02:21 PM
What would be the best approach at making a reliable 500 or more horsepower turbo regal? I'm not just interested in making 500 horsepower, but I would like to do it in the safest possible way so that I wouldn't be going through engines, transmissions, axles etc., With all the parts and technology available now, what would be the most up to date way to accomplish this? thanks

Keller
07-21-2007, 04:35 PM
500 RWHP, or 500 flywheel HP?

Are there any constraints? i.e. stock appearing, cost, stock block, etc.

kna4977
07-21-2007, 11:01 PM
500 RWHP, or 500 flywheel HP?

Are there any constraints? i.e. stock appearing, cost, stock block, etc.

Ideally I would like to turn out 500 + RWHP if reasonably and safely possible, when necessary, with a stock block. Stock appearing would be ideal. I'm also wondering what I would have to do to the rest of the drivetrain and if I would need something other than a turbotweak street chip to accomplish this. Just looking for the best way to do it considering cost, peace of mind, utiles of enjoyment etc., bulletproof for a fair price would sum it up.

kenmosher
07-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Read the Recipes ... the basics are all there.

The biggest differences any more are that the chips are more sophisticated, you can run 60# injectors, the converters are better, and you have a few more turbo choices.

The basics still apply ...

kna4977
07-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Read the Recipes ... the basics are all there.

The biggest differences any more are that the chips are more sophisticated, you can run 60# injectors, the converters are better, and you have a few more turbo choices.

The basics still apply ...

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/recipepage.html

These questions probably belong in the chip, transmission, and turbo sections, but any recommendations on chips and converters? Could I use the stock turbo?

PaCemkr86
07-22-2007, 11:27 AM
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/recipepage.html

These questions probably belong in the chip, transmission, and turbo sections, but any recommendations on chips and converters? Could I use the stock turbo?
you wont make reliable and safe 500hp if you are going try and use the stock turbo, you will working/pushing it too hard

Keller
07-22-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm getting pretty close with the TA49 and a completely stock block. If I get a good number on this, I'll take it back to the dyno.

kenmosher
07-22-2007, 01:24 PM
My opinion ... the TA49 is a GREAT turbo, but I think it's pretty much all done at about 530 HP.

Move up slightly into the 60 series (or equivalent) and you open up the HP potential a bit. (I got 650 crank HP with a TA61 ... and I think it was pretty close to all done).

Keller
07-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Move up slightly into the 60 series (or equivalent) and you open up the HP potential a bit.
Very likely my next step, and what I'd recommend for such a combo.

PaCemkr86
07-22-2007, 01:31 PM
well i can tell either of you.. once you go ball bearing turbo... you'll never use anything else...

kna4977
07-22-2007, 02:01 PM
you wont make reliable and safe 500hp if you are going try and use the stock turbo, you will working/pushing it too hard

How much can you reliably and safely make with a stock turbo? 450??

TA-60 series cost and suppliers?

Which chip or chips for a combo that allows you to easily turn on and off the 500HP juice?

Keller
07-22-2007, 02:53 PM
How much can you reliably and safely make with a stock turbo? 450??
I've squeezed 375 RWHP / 485 RWTQ out of mine so far with a TA49, and that was before I added the PTE stock location intercooler. Have yet to make a solid, full pass with the addition to the combo or a dyno pull. Add a bit for flywheel numbers, of course.

With a cam and headwork you might get some more grunt from a TA49. But you will be doing a lot to tune it right. I think 450 is possible with this turbo, but the stock turbo would be pretty hard pressed to accomplish this.

Something like a TE61 and a set of Mototron 60's would be a great next step, and probably insure I can be safely in the mid to upper 400's or better with race fuel or alcohol.

Maybe I'll write up a 'recipe' from my combo. Albeit, it won't differ much from those already out there.

kna4977
07-22-2007, 10:26 PM
What would be the best recipe for this goal? Looking for opinions.

kenmosher
07-23-2007, 09:39 AM
"Budget" would be the Hot 'n Spicy Recipe and substitute a modern chip (TurboTweak or Full Throttle/Bailey), 60# injectors, and a 60s series turbo. Everything else is pretty much the same (and is aimed a reliability). The intercooler and a half thing could also be improved with a purpose built unit (like PTE).

A bit higher dollar approach would include a ball bearing turbo.