PDA

View Full Version : Torque value spec on body bushing bolts?

87geeinn
07-22-2007, 08:33 PM
As the title says.

Survivor87
07-23-2007, 10:18 AM
My '87 Service Manual calls for 52 ft/lbs. How difficult was the install?

87geeinn
07-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Thank you. Considering my car is a Florida car with minimal rust, the install went fairly well although it is a real PITA to get everything to line up properly. Took me about seven hours total with my neighbor helping me remove/reinstall bumpers, hand me tools, etc. I did it with minimal tools (one floor jack, teebar, 15mm deep socket, long screwdriver, etc.) and did NOT jack the car off the ground. If you are nimble enough, you can do it without jacking the car up first. HINTS (from my experience): 1) If you jack the car up between the #3 and #4 positions you can get to all seven bushings on each side fairly well provided your floor jack and teebar is stable and balanced under the lip of the car and ALL of the bolts are already removed 2) remove power steering pump from bracket 3)#2 driver's side upper bushing is easy to get to by going in from the fenderwell 4)#5 "GNX" bushing can also be placed into position easily from the fenderwells 5)DON'T jack the rear of the car up by the gas tank even if you distribute the weight evenly with a board (ask me how I know) 6)remove bumpers 7) Get a buddy to help you, trust me on this one 8) Stay organized. If you need any more pointers let me know. It was WELL worth the effort and the car rides as if it is 1000lbs lighter.

Survivor87
07-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the tips. Will take all of that under advisement when I get ready to do mine. I have heard that it makes a real difference in road feel, handling, etc., after doing this, so I have it on my short list (who am I kidding, I have one list and it's not very short). Hope you didn't tweak your fuel tank too much.
Might PM you down the road when the time comes....

Keller
07-23-2007, 10:47 PM
5)DON'T jack the rear of the car up by the gas tank even if you distribute the weight evenly with a board (ask me how I know)
Not a good idea. :nono:

If you write up a procedure, or enhance what we have published, we'll put it on the site.