PDA

View Full Version : '87 Rear Main Seal Replacement

Michael F.
12-10-2004, 05:40 PM
Webmaster,

I am new to the website and a recent first owner of an '87 GN. I have had the car for about 3 months now and had to replace the rear main seal recently. I just wanted to thank you for your tech article on this procedure. I followed your steps exactly and it was very helpful. Drove it today for the first time since replacement and not a single drop of oil. I was surprised though to find my seal completely gone when I pulled the rear main cap off. Looked like it was disolved and stuck to the pick up tube screen. What a mess. I am sure my oil pressure is better now. Of course, gauges will be my next improvement. Found a link to a website to purchase them here as well. Your site is very helpful. Thanks again and please keep up the great work. :) :cheers:

Keller
12-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I doubt that piece of wisdom was put on this site by me, because I recently used that same article to replace my own rear manin seal. Everything on this site was contributed by owners like yourself. Perhaps you will have something to contribute as well as you drive the car and find a trick to performing some procedure. That's what a community like this is all about!