PDA

View Full Version : Hotair blowing cold

jhef83
12-13-2004, 10:26 PM
My 85's blowing luke warm air. I thought maybe the thermostat was at fault. Changed stat,didn't help. I notice a differance in temperature when I run the temp control from cold to hot, but it doesn't get hot, just warm. There's a control in heater hose[plastic with vacuum port] with no vacuum line attached. I also found a steel vacuum line open at back of engine. It was hard to get to, but after I capped it my idle improved a bunch, idles nice and low. My first thought was to run a line between the two,but there's a line plugged over by the blower motor too. I looked at schematic on site , it shows a line running to HVAC controls, but doesn't show controls. It's starting to get cold here in Indiana. It's dippin into the teens tonight. Be nice to have some hot air outa my Hotair. :(

buickgn38sfi
12-18-2004, 12:13 PM
There are two plastic lines comming out of the corner by the blower motor...THE (white) LINE MUST HAVE A VACCUM it dosen't really matter from where. this is what controls you vents and switches inside the car. The Darker brown one should go to your (Heater Control Valve). If all that dosen't work you could try switching the vaccum lines but I'm pretty sure that Im right. Now, If you are still not getting heat you neeed to replace the HCV. And if none of this helps you, you should just take the HVC completely off, and see a local shop for assistance. But in the meantime you "should" have permanent heat!

Hope this helps you out! call me if you have any more questions and we will get you some heat,...I live in Ohio so I know how you feel!
Mick 513-464-0478

jhef83
12-18-2004, 11:22 PM
I took the control completely out today.
Its alittle better but it should run me out.
Heater cores probably plugged.I think I'll try flushing system next. Thanks for the info on the little lines, neither were connected.

jhef83
12-19-2004, 08:37 PM
Well I went for a drive today 11deg out, after about 30 min pulled cap off radiator slowly. Coolant felt warm, but not hot. I had no problem sticking a finger in there. Might not be heater core afterall. When I bought my thermostat I thought I saw a note on the monitor to use a 7# cap with this thermostat. I've got a 15#. Any suggestions? :confused:

buickgn38sfi
12-20-2004, 01:36 PM
What thermostat do you have? you should use a 180 if you are going to drive it in the winter. The cap shouldn't effect your temp unless its not holding ANY pressure in which case, you would be loosing coolant.

jhef83
12-20-2004, 11:27 PM
I'm using a 195. What if my clutch fans not working right and overcooling engine? check out my thead in engine electrical.