PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics

mschaffer66
08-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Does anyone else here feel kinda leary taking their car in for service?

I think i've got an A/C problem. Hot air, tried to fill it, it said it was full on the gauge.

So I need to take it in...but I'm worried that I'm going to get someone that wants to have some fun taking my baby for a test drive...

Am I paranoid?

Keller
08-25-2007, 01:30 PM
No.

I'd either stay with it, set the wastegate to stay open, or get a chip that sets the speed limiter to like 30 MPH and tell them the car has been disabled up front.

mschaffer66
08-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Just pulling the arm off of the wastegate would work right? But someone might see that if they knew what they were looking at.

I'll also look into the chip idea :)

PhillyTurboSix
08-25-2007, 02:37 PM
You really need to know someone you can trust to take these cars to. Taking them to Joe the corner mech is never a good idea. Most people don't have a clue how to work on and tune these cars. I have a mech that I've been going with my daily drivers since I was 16 years old. Even he told me to find someone who just works on the turbo Buicks when I bought mine. He could do the basic stuff but didn't want to be bothered with keeping it in tune.

Friend of mine took his t type in for service to all places the local Buick dealer. Got the car back and it didn't seem as fast. Did an oil change and thought the oil was aweful slow coming out of it. Puts new oil in fires it up and it's got a rod knock. They beat on it so hard at the dealer the spun a bearing and loaded it up with stp to keep it quiet. Took him a engine job to learn not to take it to someone you don't know and or trust!

PaCemkr86
08-25-2007, 05:40 PM
just have em work on it will you wait.

TURBO2
08-31-2007, 05:37 PM
Find the closest Turbo Buick guru. Where do you live? Maybe some one can point you to the closest one.

4SFED
09-09-2007, 10:36 AM
They shouldn't need to drive your car to diagnose an A/C problem.If the system is full,you may have an electrical concern.Try checking all your fuses and power and ground to your compressor.
Ed
P.S not all dealer techs are bad guys,look for someone who was around when these cars were in on a regular basis.

WH1Regal
09-09-2007, 02:57 PM
You are going to have to do your best to find a safe place. I agree, don't leave the car if you have a concern. Most AC places, at least the one I use, are more then happy to have you wait and will even let you watch everything they do.

I have to deal with this every year. Maine has a state inspection...where someone, from the parking lot to the garage, drives your car, puts it on the lift, messes around with things, and puts it back. I'm very protective and never let the car leave my sight. Also gives me a chance to see the underside of my car on the lift, which is about the only plus.

4SFED
09-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Most dealer techs who are not fresh out of school will respect your car and treat it like their own.It's not worth losing your job over a joy ride.Also if your car is damaged at the shop,most reputable places will stand behind it.It's sad,but you know a few jerks ruin the reputation of all mechanics/techs.

T-Type85David
10-05-2007, 05:39 AM
I had that probelm, so i bought books on TR or just regals at autozone. Buy the stuff you need to check it yourself. IF not, then if you do take it in, don't let them tell you it has to stay there for overnight/weekend. I ]HAD a friend who worked at Firestone and somebody had a TTA being worked on. MAN HE showed the video/THEY burned THAT UP, BURN OUTS AND CRAP. i was like YOUR THE REASON WE CAN"T TRUST SHOPS !!!!!!!! *******S LIKE YOU THAT WANT THESE CARS BUT DON"T HAVE YOUR OWN!<TEAR UP OUR GMs THEN I RACED HIM IN HIS STANG AND BEAT HIS ASS!!!! yes a FORD GUY!!!!!

toro68
03-29-2009, 10:05 AM
You are going to have to do your best to find a safe place. I agree, don't leave the car if you have a concern. Most AC places, at least the one I use, are more then happy to have you wait and will even let you watch everything they do.

I have to deal with this every year. Maine has a state inspection...where someone, from the parking lot to the garage, drives your car, puts it on the lift, messes around with things, and puts it back. I'm very protective and never let the car leave my sight. Also gives me a chance to see the underside of my car on the lift, which is about the only plus.

A great place to ask about A/C problems , is Gerard Russo Sr, owner of Auto/Air Inc of South Portland, Maine. Telephone number is (207) 773-8735.
Reasons to contact him, he is honset, friendly to talk to :bye:,
and he and his wife use to own a black 1987 Regal T-type:six: