GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums

GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums (http://gnttype.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Mechanical (http://gnttype.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New owner - Oil pressure scare (http://gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2183)

centxgn 05-31-2005 11:44 AM

New owner - Oil pressure scare

Just bought my 87 GN w 34k miles. Driving home it ran temp @ 200-210 @ 80 mph. RPM's @ 3k. Oil pressure @34-36 psi. However @ idle pressure drops to 10 psi. Is this normal? When it's still cold the pressure is great at over 40-50 psi at speed. Idle +25 psi only when cold

Help.

Keller 05-31-2005 12:05 PM

Re: New owner - Oil pressure scare

Those temps are a bit higher than what most of us run. Many of us run a 160F thermostat and have chips that turn on the fan at 165-180F.

The combination of higher temps and running at speed may have led to a lower idle oil pressure. You may want to check what oil is currently in the car and double check the gauge and its wiring. Also be sure that the proper type of filter is being used. (i.e. a PF47/PF52 or equivalen for a unmodified setup)

The mileage on the motor may be a factor as well.

Buick motors are spec'd to have very tight bearing clearances. So oil pressures that seem creepy low really aren't a problem.

PaCemkr86 05-31-2005 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centxgn
Just bought my 87 GN w 34k miles. Driving home it ran temp @ 200-210 @ 80 mph. RPM's @ 3k. Oil pressure @34-36 psi. However @ idle pressure drops to 10 psi. Is this normal? When it's still cold the pressure is great at over 40-50 psi at speed. Idle +25 psi only when cold

Help.

welcome to owning a TR

centxgn 05-31-2005 07:43 PM

Apparently, this car isn't stock. I have a stack of receipts from mods over the years (all bolt on) . Green injectors, bunch of kenne bell tubing, motor rebuild in 1993, KB wires, scanmaster, hooker exhaust, fuel pump upgrade adj wastegate, ram air, 160 therm, volt booster, etc. Included were two extra chips. The seller says they are performance enhanced chips, but the stock one was in the car. One says HP137 R3 PIT BULL ARB EO D304-2 and the other just has jt8(g)AI52/P on the underside. ANy ideas what these are?

PaCemkr86 05-31-2005 09:19 PM

the stock one shouldnt been in the car if the green injectors are on the car.
what does your screen name mean ? are you in central texas?
And from what ive found on my own pitbill chips are no good, way too much timming

info on chip here
http://www.atrperformance.com/produc...products_id=79

Keller 06-01-2005 01:00 AM

The bottom line with the oil pressure question: There has been a motor rebuild. No idea who did it, and how well or what parts or specs were used. You are on you're own. The listed oil pressures aren't fatal for a Buick V6, so don't panic. Just make sure you use the proper oil and filters in all future changes.

As for all other non-Engine Mechanical aspects of this question...let's keep those in the appropriate sections of the board, please. I see that this could be a BIG Q&A breeder.

Thanks!

rzyzzy 06-03-2005 06:13 PM

Synthetic oil will also run at a lower pressure - which isn't really a bad thing, just a property of the oil. The rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 rpm's as a minimum - if you're there you're ok...

centxgn 06-03-2005 09:15 PM

I guess I'm OK.. Just paranoid being a new owner. I'll eventually learn the tricks.

Thanks!!!

ajt86 06-06-2005 12:24 AM

at idle at 800RPM im around 9 PSI, im gonna put a new wear plate on the oil pump tomorrow hopefully thatll give me some more pressure since my oil pump plate was all scored up when i put it back together.