View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 03:53 PM

Turbo Trans Am is on a distinguished road
Default Underdrive/Overdrive pulleys safe to use?

I've been doing research on underdrive/overdrive pulleys and have a few questions. Firstly, what percentages would a daily driver (aggressive) want to underdrive their accessories? I have stock stereo, but want to upgrade in the future. Which pulleys should be overdriven and which should be underdriven? What is safe on an essentially stock vehicle? I haven't been able to find if there is a difference in performance (i.e. more hp to the wheels) based on the diameter of the pulleys, or if it strictly due to the fact that aftermarket pulleys are lighter, or both. Is it the fact that the accessories are being used less extensively by underdriving that causes performance increase, or is it the fact that the pulleys are lighter, or both? Which pulleys should be underdriven, and which should be overdriven in our cars? I have heard that you want overdriven pulleys on waterpump to promote better cooling. I already have a 160 degree thermostat. Would there be a benifit to underdriving the waterpump? Do you overdrive or underdrive the crank and what effect will this cause? I have heard that changing the crank pulley is dangerous because the stock one is the size it's for absorbtion reasons and that replacing it will cause damage to the crank. What pulleys do you all recommend? How much more hp and torque to the wheels should I expect from swapping out all of the pulleys? I know there are a million questions here. Thank you all very much for your time and help!