View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 08:07 PM

King_V is on a distinguished road
Default Re: On Center bore spacing: what exactly does it mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller
The text on that sheet describes the on-center Stage 2 block as having "cylinder bores on-center of crankshaft and connecting rod journals" - something the producion even-fire V6 did not have. Makes for a stronger setup. Which is why they used that scheme in on the Series II and Series III motors.
Ahh . . got it, on center with regard to position of the rod on the crank. So when they went even-fire, the rods were no longer perfectly straight directly under the pistons?

Quote:
However, don't go looking to exchange parts with the newer motors. Nothing will fit. The Series II/III motors are all different. They have balance shafts, 6 bolt mains (four on the bottom, two on the sides), different heads, gerotor oil pumps...just plain different. But a VERY strong bottom end!
So, anything that's a C-code 3800 or later (K and L code I think) falls into the Series II/III category then, correct?

Quote:
By the way, Stage 2 != Series II. The former is the 'race' version of the production TR motor. The latter is the motor still being offered in some production vehicles today.
Ok, I think I follow . . am I correct in assuming that the on-center bore spacing of the Stage 2 block does *not* require different heads (not sure about exact valve positioning over the pistons), and will work with all other standard TR parts?

Thanks again!