GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Turbochargers and Intercoolers

Old 02-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Senior Contributor

IL KIM is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Turbo

Well, I have to admit I'm confused on how to decide what trim, A/R to get with what turbo, especially with this being a major part of the overall package.
IL KIM 85 GN w/86 motor, TRW pistons, Weber 206 billet roller cam, EGR welded, o/sized valves, 130psi springs, roller rockers, 3000 conv, adj w/gate, FPR, custom rad, KB ram air, ported, KB headers, Walbro 340M/hotwire, 60lb Hi Z, CPT66bb
Old 02-07-2007, 12:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Royal-T is on a distinguished road

if its mostly street driven .... get the P Trim..... either a PTE 67 or Turbonetics/CPT 66 bb... performance should be almost equal.....with possible slight advantage to PTE [b/c their garrett exhaust housing always seems to flow a lil' better].... with Cottons/Turbonetics bb - H20 cooling is optional.... with PTE - H2O cooling is a MUST. so add into cost; the addition of water coolant lines.... i had good experience with my turbonetics ball bearing, but right now the PTE unit seems to be all the "rage". PTE's customer service is 500x better than turbonetics and they are "BUICK FRIENDLY" BUT Jack Cotton has EXCELLENT customer service and he IS "BUICK FRIENDLY". Turbonetics has rebuildable cartridge. PTE/Garrett has to be replaced if it ever fails. Turbonetics/Cottons has big shaft. PTE/Garrett has small shaft. At any rate they are probably both good units and you will be happy with either. So i would buy from whoever has better customer service and price. HTH
Old 02-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the advise Royal-T.
IL KIM 85 GN w/86 motor, TRW pistons, Weber 206 billet roller cam, EGR welded, o/sized valves, 130psi springs, roller rockers, 3000 conv, adj w/gate, FPR, custom rad, KB ram air, ported, KB headers, Walbro 340M/hotwire, 60lb Hi Z, CPT66bb
Old 02-07-2007, 09:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up Re: What Turbo

I took the plunge and ordered a Turbo today. Should be ready in 2 weeks. I got the (smaller turbo) CPT 66 ballbearing with P trim and .63 A/R exhaust. The compressor has the 4" inlet and 2.5" outlet from Cotton Performance. Talked with both Mike Litch at Full Throttle and with Jack Cotton before ordering.

From what I'm told; the PTE 67 has the newer/better compresser wheel and has more power. Jack actually sells both. The CPT 66 Turbonetics comes with a 1 year warranty and is VSR balanced. It has bb is on one side only (PTE 67 is both sides) and the water cooling is optional. Jack says I don't need water for durability or anything, but I had to order it anyway. He also says if I ordered the Q trim on the CPT 66 it would be comparable to the PTE 6776. The CPT does have the big shaft and rebuildable cartridge.

Thanks Phil, Chris, and Royal-T for the info and helping me choose. Now for the mating converter....
Old 02-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal-T
S = compressor cover size A/R .70 4" inlet / 2.5" outlet
H = A/R .75 4" inlet / 3" outlet
E = A/R [? .60/.65maybe] 3" inlet / 2" outlet

HTH

thanks.. good to know info

My Turbo Buick
Old 02-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Senior Contributor

chrisgarrett is on a distinguished road

Congratulations. I'm sure you're love it. Please drive responsibly.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL KIM
I took the plunge and ordered a Turbo today. Should be ready in 2 weeks. I got the (smaller turbo) CPT 66 ballbearing with P trim and .63 A/R exhaust. The compressor has the 4" inlet and 2.5" outlet from Cotton Performance. Talked with both Mike Litch at Full Throttle and with Jack Cotton before ordering.

From what I'm told; the PTE 67 has the newer/better compresser wheel and has more power. Jack actually sells both. The CPT 66 Turbonetics comes with a 1 year warranty and is VSR balanced. It has bb is on one side only (PTE 67 is both sides) and the water cooling is optional. Jack says I don't need water for durability or anything, but I had to order it anyway. He also says if I ordered the Q trim on the CPT 66 it would be comparable to the PTE 6776. The CPT does have the big shaft and rebuildable cartridge.

Thanks Phil, Chris, and Royal-T for the info and helping me choose. Now for the mating converter....
CONGRATS.... i'm sure you will love it.... i think i'm gonna miss my ball bearing...... i think i may start lookin again too...GRUMPY has been tens with that turbo you are buying.... its gonna be awesome.... just drive responsibly and always monitor your gauges.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys; I've only been driving for 27 years and owned this GN since 85, so I'll keep driving responsibly!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Talking Re: What Turbo

Finally! I got my new turbo with the h2o cooled option today!!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont believe you..... wheres the pix .... J/K.... [about the not believing... serious about the pix...hahahaha] CONGRATS - im still waiting for some powdercoating to come back [and a tranny] then i can finally put the beast back together....