GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Turbochargers and Intercoolers

Old 06-28-2005, 03:04 AM

SteveL87GN is on a distinguished road
Default Parts needed to compliment a bigger turbo

So, I'm putting together my list of parts for the build-up on my little sleeping beauty . Essentially, I want everything (sans the Kirban brace kits) to be reversible to stock should my dad and I ever decide to show her (we can justify the brace kits). She'll still be a street prowler, so everything will need to be 50-state legal .

I'm looking at ATR's Stage 3A turbo to replace the stock unit. What would be a good injector size to upgrade to? I'm also looking getting the Stealth 7th Injector kit from ATR as well. Should I match that to the other 6 injectors or go with a different size? If different, what size? I've got the -237 FPR used in the TTA already, so I'm set there. Would the stock pump be enough or should I look at getting the SuperPump?

Along with this will come a new set of headers...from ATR of course. Would the SS 3" downpipe be worth the extra noise (pretty loud from what I have heard) or would the SS 2.5" be almost the same for this build? Also, would there be a noticeable gain to the SS 3" cat-back from ATR, or would the SS 2.5" be just as good?

Now for the intake. I'm looking at the ATR CAI. Any cons to this or better suggestions? Along with this I'm looking at their intake pipes. Would these help at all or just add some under-hood appeal?

Lastly, I know she'll need a good tune to take all this and make the most of it. Would a dyno-tune be the only way to get this dialed in properly or would a mail-order chip work also? If so, what chips? And, are there any details I'm leaving out or any loose ends I'm not accounting for? Thanks a bunch guys. I can't wait to get this started
93 Z28 - slightly tweaked
http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez/
Old 06-29-2005, 09:39 PM
Senior Contributor

buddiiee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Parts needed to compliment a bigger turbo

from what little i know, the 3 inch atr exhaust doesnt flow that much more than the 2.5 inch, as the 3 inch is a single shot, and the 2.5 is the duals. the most common exhaust is the atr ss 2.5 inch duals. by far and away. there must be a reason for that. im guessin theyre really good. its the system i have sittin in the shop to be put on my car right now. there are other dual systems out there that are sufficient, but atr seems to be the standard by which all others are judged. the downpipe? i dont know anyone that would spend the money to replace one, and go with something under 3 inch, though thats just what ive seen. its not gospel. and when you say the 'atr cai' do you mean their air intake deal? if its the one with the little black cone bucket that surrounds the air filter dont run it. its kinda restrictive. thats outdated technology. i had one very similar to it, and my car runs a TAD bit better without that bucket. my mechanic laughed at how old my kit was lol. go with a kit that runs the filter down by the drivers side radiator/air dam. and go with that new k and n filter, that has the x-treme top, which is filter as well. im guessing it has a ****hair more flow. im goin to try that filter out here shortly as wel. hope ive helped. youll get more definitive answers when keller and mosher fill in. theyre the bomb with the turbo regals.
KB chip,2400 TC,K&N cai,stage3 shiftkit,bilstein shocks,engine strap,1.375 rear bar,all 4 brace kits,2.5"catless dual exhaust,bosch afpr,airbag,160 t-stat,power plate,ported inlet bell,alum drums,S-10 cylinders.On deck:LT1 springs,hotwired walbro.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiiee
from what little i know, the 3 inch atr exhaust doesnt flow that much more than the 2.5 inch, as the 3 inch is a single shot, and the 2.5 is the duals. the most common exhaust is the atr ss 2.5 inch duals. by far and away. there must be a reason for that. im guessin theyre really good. its the system i have sittin in the shop to be put on my car right now. there are other dual systems out there that are sufficient, but atr seems to be the standard by which all others are judged. the downpipe? i dont know anyone that would spend the money to replace one, and go with something under 3 inch, though thats just what ive seen. its not gospel. and when you say the 'atr cai' do you mean their air intake deal? if its the one with the little black cone bucket that surrounds the air filter dont run it. its kinda restrictive. thats outdated technology. i had one very similar to it, and my car runs a TAD bit better without that bucket. my mechanic laughed at how old my kit was lol. go with a kit that runs the filter down by the drivers side radiator/air dam. and go with that new k and n filter, that has the x-treme top, which is filter as well. im guessing it has a ****hair more flow. im goin to try that filter out here shortly as wel. hope ive helped. youll get more definitive answers when keller and mosher fill in. theyre the bomb with the turbo regals.
Thanks for the reply buddiiee. I'm actually referring to the SS 3" dual setup from. ATR, not the single shot. Its pretty much the same design as the 2.5", but half an inch bigger in diameter.

As for the intake, yes, a CAI (cold air induction) is the kit with the big shroud around the filter. Any recommendations on another...anyone? Thanks.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:49 AM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

ATR's stuff is nice and will work fine. Alternatives on the CAI would the "Big Mouth" kit (I like the mounting of the filter better).

The MotoTron 60/65 lb injectors with an Extender chip or TurboTweak chip (or any of the various others matched to the injectors) would be a good "buy them once and have room to grow" choice. Other choices would include 009s or 36#'ers.... with appropriate chip of course.

The 2.5" exhaust system is a really nice piece and will flow almost like open pipes ... I've found no difference in my car capped or uncapped with the system (using UltraFlow mufflers) down deep into the 11s.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 06-30-2005, 10:22 AM

corsair231 is on a distinguished road

I run a "big mouth" intake from Turbo Regal Custom Parts. It uses a huge 4" cone filter and locates it infront of the radiator core support. I use it with their MAF pipe. (They offer kits for the large MAF sensors too.) Easy install. Just had to move my charcoal cannister over a little. The only thing I didn't like was where it goes thru the core support. There is a sharp edge there that would wear on the rubber elbow. Some kits I've seen supply a fix, this one doesn't so I split a length of fuel hose and made a grommet around the support. Check them out at:

http://www.buickgn.com
Old 06-30-2005, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmosher
ATR's stuff is nice and will work fine. Alternatives on the CAI would the "Big Mouth" kit (I like the mounting of the filter better).

The MotoTron 60/65 lb injectors with an Extender chip or TurboTweak chip (or any of the various others matched to the injectors) would be a good "buy them once and have room to grow" choice. Other choices would include 009s or 36#'ers.... with appropriate chip of course.

The 2.5" exhaust system is a really nice piece and will flow almost like open pipes ... I've found no difference in my car capped or uncapped with the system (using UltraFlow mufflers) down deep into the 11s.
Good deal, so the SS 3" dual system should be great. That will definitely go good with the 3" downpipe I'm sure . I don't really plan on doing much more to the motor, I'd like to keep it near stock but still faster than. So, a set of 36 lb. injectors would be the way to go then, correct? Any recommendations on the chip? Also, I've asked some friends and have heard bad reviews for the stealth 7th inj. kit. Is that the general concensus on here as well? If so, I don't mind taking it off the list...saves me some money .

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair231
I run a "big mouth" intake from Turbo Regal Custom Parts. It uses a huge 4" cone filter and locates it infront of the radiator core support. I use it with their MAF pipe. (They offer kits for the large MAF sensors too.) Easy install. Just had to move my charcoal cannister over a little. The only thing I didn't like was where it goes thru the core support. There is a sharp edge there that would wear on the rubber elbow. Some kits I've seen supply a fix, this one doesn't so I split a length of fuel hose and made a grommet around the support. Check them out at:

http://www.buickgn.com
That looks pretty sweet. My only concern with that one (as well as the ATR one) is whether or not they are 50-state-legal. I didn't have much time to take a look at the Big Mouth yet, so I'll check it out more when I get back. But that definitely looks like a better kit than the ATR kit.

Thanks a bunch guys, keep it comin' . I'm ordering some restoration parts and the vacuum brake kit in a few days, so its I want to get this nailed down before I actually start.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

Get the 60s and you don't need the 7th ...

The 7th can work fine, but it adds another variable to tuning and can be hard to get to work exactly the way you want.

I'd just get enough injector, proper chip, and scan tool and tune and forget it...
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition