GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Mechanical

Old 04-14-2005, 01:33 PM

Austintitan is on a distinguished road
Default New GN owner, needs help and advice

I just recently picked up an 87 GN, and the motor is apart. The gentlemen that I purchased it from took the motor apart because he thought it had a knock, and determined that it was actually a broken flywheel. Anyways, the crank and pistons all look good, but I want to go thru the motor and rebuild it. What are some of the things I should look into changing or adding while the motor is apart. Essentially I would like to have a well balanced weekend cruiser, capable of 12's. Some of the current mods that came with the car are 60 lb injectors, (I realize with the factory turbo, I wont utilize the full potential of these), upgraded chip, Walbro pump and a few other small things. I also need to replace the bumper fillers, should I go with the fiberglass as opposed to the factory rubber ?
Old 04-14-2005, 07:29 PM

BoostedDeuce is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New GN owner, needs help and advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintitan
Some of the current mods that came with the car are 60 lb injectors, (I realize with the factory turbo, I wont utilize the full potential of these),
I have some 42lb injectors, I need bigger ones, you need smaller ones, lets trade
Old 04-22-2005, 02:33 PM

x1349x is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to x1349x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintitan
I just recently picked up an 87 GN, and the motor is apart. The gentlemen that I purchased it from took the motor apart because he thought it had a knock, and determined that it was actually a broken flywheel. Anyways, the crank and pistons all look good, but I want to go thru the motor and rebuild it. What are some of the things I should look into changing or adding while the motor is apart. Essentially I would like to have a well balanced weekend cruiser, capable of 12's. Some of the current mods that came with the car are 60 lb injectors, (I realize with the factory turbo, I wont utilize the full potential of these), upgraded chip, Walbro pump and a few other small things. I also need to replace the bumper fillers, should I go with the fiberglass as opposed to the factory rubber ?
I a'm in the process now of rebuilding my engine an the first thing i did was to change "both front & rear" rope seals to neophrene seals. much better as far as leaking oil. tighter fit,last longer so iv'e been told. good luck x1349x
Old 04-22-2005, 02:50 PM

x1349x is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to x1349x
Default confusion with different plug wireing

I'm trying to find out correct wireing for plug wires all plug wires were removed at once but no one marked them. A'm i correct standing "aft looking forward" #1 should be most forward on my left side an #2 should be most forward on my right side #3 middle left & #4 middle right and last #5 left & #6 right. this applies to 86 grand national. I'm not very good yet with this web site would someone please e-mail me & let me know if i'm right or wrong.
thank you x1349x jpar@comcast.net
Old 05-06-2005, 12:31 PM

gofstbuick is on a distinguished road

The odd cylinders are on the drivers side front to back is 135 and the passenger side is the even cylinders, front to back is 246
87 GN, basically stock 3.8, poston 107 cam, TA49, GM3927142 valve springs, lucas 009s, Testa91(for alky), homemade fuel pump hot wire kit, homemade cold air kit, DIY Alky injection, Duttweiler neck intercooler, powerplate and ATR downpipe.