GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Mechanical

Old 10-16-2005, 05:15 PM

Ralph Cordell is on a distinguished road
Default Priming the Oil Pump

My 87 GN was stolen several years ago, recovered just a tad worse for the experience and allowed to sit in my driveway for 4 years. I am just about ready to fire that rascal up but have been advised to prime the oil pump. It was suggested that I do this through the cam sensor. I bought an oil primer at NAPA that replaces the shaft. I also have an 84 TR that is in pieces and I thought I would check out the layout on the front cover of the 84 before getting into the GN. I took out the two phillips screws that held the cover/wires on and the bolt that holds the unit stationary on the front cover. However I could not pull the shaft out. I then removed the phillips screw that holds the window assembly onto the shaft - still was not able to pull it out. I tapped on it with a dowel - was able to move it a bit (about 1/4 inch) but not all the way out. It looks like the gear that meshes with the cam is too large to pass through. I have a shop manual for an 84 and it talks about priming the pump using compressed air (have that) and a pressure tester (don't have that). I was wondering about just slapping the impact wrench on the crank shaft and spinning it for a while. What about disconnecting the fuel pump lead and using the starter to spin it a bit?

Thanks much for any help you can provide.

-ralph
Old 10-16-2005, 08:40 PM

Harry Mash is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Priming the Oil Pump

Have you removed the bolt that holds the cam sensor to the motor ( like the bolt that holds the distributor on older cars ) ?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:30 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Priming the Oil Pump

Harry is right: Pretend you are pulling a distributor on an older Buick. Look under the cam sensor. There is a hold-down under there.

If the pump has lost its prime, all the starter-cranking in the world may not help. Even the priming tool may not help. See http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/PRIMING.html for some hints.

Hopefully the tool will do its job. Watch through the fill hole in the valve cover for oil circulation.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:41 AM

After posting my inquiry, I tried to remove the cam sensor from my TR front cover one more time - it slid right out as did the sensor on my GN. I ran the primer for several minutes (probably 5 intermittently) but was not able to see any sign of oil circulating through the fill hole on the valve cover. I pulled the oil line to the turbo, hit the primer and sprayed oil all over the front of my car so I know the pump is primed. Should I pull the valve cover and have at it until I see oil? I'll run that sucker all day if I need to but get a bit leary about overdoing things - have broken a lot of things that way. I really appreciate your input and help. This is almost like having you guys looking over my shoulder. Thanks so much.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:27 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Priming the Oil Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Cordell
I pulled the oil line to the turbo, hit the primer and sprayed oil all over the front of my car so I know the pump is primed.
I think you're fine. Not sure what more it would take to see evidence in the fill hole. Once you do the setting procedure for the cam sensor, try cranking it with the ECM power disconnected a few times before connecting it and then trying to start it. That way you'll just cover the bases a bit to insure you've got a wee bit more circulation.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:04 AM

cherrypie is on a distinguished road

Since your car has been sitting i would rotate the motor over so the cam will get oil on the lobes as well while priming. Use a large ratchet and socket on the alternator make the job easier. Also spray some oil in the cylinders as well.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:59 PM

You guys are all fantastic. I've got a cam sensor tester coming in from Ken's GN along with a few other parts - hope to get them by Friday and get that rascal fired up this weekend. I dropped a battery in and checked the fuel system last night - pressure shot right up to 40-50 on my little cheapie gauge. No apparent leaks. I got a citation and have to go to court next Friday about my "junk car". I hope that I can get it running and that the judge will see this is hardly a junk car. It was stolen once by thieves, a second time by my insurance company who insisted on either totalling it or me dropping the claim - I'd hate to see the county steal it from me. This is the first new car my wife & I ever owned. We plan on getting repainted once I get it titled and licensed. Thanks again for all your help

-ralph