GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Mechanical

Old 06-16-2005, 01:55 AM

fullblownchevy1 is on a distinguished road
Default need help on engine thoughts

i have a 84 monte carlo stock 305 with 75,000 miles on it i have custon paint wheels interior i just dont have a good motor ive thought about goin 350 with 350 hp crate motor and i also thought about a BGN motor which would be quickest? how do i get a bgn motor whats my cheapest opiton 350 with a turbo or bgn with upgraded turbos i want it to be faster than the slow 305 in it now and i want it to be clean so i really would like a turbo to be different any opions?
Old 06-16-2005, 09:26 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: need help on engine thoughts

The short answer is: You've got to pay to play.

- A crate 350 is easy. You order it, receive it, and drop it in. Nothing too complicated. Sticking with a carb? All the better.

- Buick turbo V6 is going to be a *LOT* of work. Its fuel injected - your car isn't. That will involve wiring, relays, etc. your car doesn't have. You will either have to get these from a used/wrecked car or buy a new engine harness from Casper's Electronics. Your car isn't set up for a high pressure fuel system. Another modification. Can take tank/lines/hoses/wiring from a used/wrecked car or fabricate. Now that the basic support systems are in place, there is the motor question. Motors are available. You can find them in our used in our TRader, or order up a built one from various vendors. You will still need all of the the brackets, lines, accessories, cables, hoses, etc. Those won't transfer from the 305. And then it still needs to be hooked into your car. A Chevy bolt patten transmission and a BOP bolt pattern transmission aren't the same. So you might be in for a trans change. (unless yours is dual pattern) And so on...

Power wise, either can be made to crank some power. But we all feel that the Buick turbo 6 is the best option, naturally. More efficient when you aren't laying on it, and gonzo torque when pressed hard. There are some that have done swaps out there. Maybe they will chime in.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:14 AM

fullblownchevy1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: need help on engine thoughts

how bout just puttin turbo on the 305 or ive seen a 383 supercharged in my kinda car wonder how that is i want to be able to cruize on the weekends though ill spend 10k no prob
Old 06-18-2005, 05:20 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: need help on engine thoughts

Whatever floats your boat. But if its not Buick (motor) related, we really don't talk about it here. Sorry.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:56 AM
Senior Contributor

buddiiee is on a distinguished road

hes absolutely right. throwin a turbo 3.8 would be HELL. i would absolutely throw a built 350 chevy in it, and call it done. most mechanics could tune that engine in about 5 min. with their eyes closed. the 3.8? forget about it. youll need to find a REALLY competant mechanic in your area to tune your new turbo 3.8. itll cost THOUSANDS. screw that. stick with a carbed 350 man. totally. if not, youll soon realize the headache im talkin about. and you dont want that trust me.
KB chip,2400 TC,K&N cai,stage3 shiftkit,bilstein shocks,engine strap,1.375 rear bar,all 4 brace kits,2.5"catless dual exhaust,bosch afpr,airbag,160 t-stat,power plate,ported inlet bell,alum drums,S-10 cylinders.On deck:LT1 springs,hotwired walbro.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:45 PM

Raider9170 is on a distinguished road

The 3.8t would be a great swap. A guy around here put one in a 67 Vette and it is beautiful, but he said it was tough. I've always been a carbed v8 guy and they're the easiest to build but that is the decision you need to make. If you have the time/money put the 3.8 in, I think it'll be a better investment in the end (better manners/mpg/driveability at higher power) and they're just flat nasty when you get into them. If you're going to go with the 350 and you are on a budget, try this. .030 over block(about 10.5:1 comp), Worlds Products Sportsman II heads, Magnum 286 cam, Proform stamped roller rockers, Blue racer pushrods, gear drive timing set (even the cheaper ones work well) then performer rpm airgap intake, 750 Holley. Easy 450hp (I used to run that combo in my cutlass before the bbc). Makes good power but nowhere near as fun as feeling the boost build on a 3.8. Just my .02
Old 06-21-2005, 05:51 PM

GranRegal85 is on a distinguished road

Another thing to consider is your state's Emmissions laws.
My 1984 Buick regal has to run on the dyno at 50mph in order to pass the sniffer, not to mention a visual check, and safety check.
Swapping in a carbureted 350 wasnt the best idea for me due to the emmissions.

I'd have to go with a fuel injected 350 in order to pass. And more importantly, I have to retain the 1984 emmisions equipment in order to pass the visual inspection.

That was my dilemma, so I opted to start the process of switching in a 3.8 Turbo 6 cylinder (non-intercooled) from a 1985 grand national.
I bought the entire motor/tranny, all harnesses and the computer.
I still have a ton of stuff to deal with, BUT I got such a great price on the entire drivetrain I think its worth the swap.
I could have easily bought a junkyard late model camaro or corvette fuel injected smal block, but I wanted to stick with a Buick motor/tranny.

Good luck with your swap.
Why not go big block if you are considering a turbo six headache.
A used carbed big block will be insanely fast even bone stock..
Old 06-22-2005, 06:06 PM

Raider9170 is on a distinguished road

The cam I meant was Magnum 280h, not 286. But here is my thought, if the emissions will be to hard with a small block there is no way a big block will pass. Truthfully though, I never think about that stuff because here in Michigan we have to emissions laws. For instance, there is a guy here who has a Honda insight that he gutted and put an H22 Vtec motor in. My opinion is still the 3.8, I say go big or go home. Also the thing with the 3.8 is that you can build them up in steps to make great power. It's not like a v8 where you have to build the whole thing as a package or you compromise the whole thing.