GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Mechanical

Old 06-30-2005, 08:39 PM

boutime is on a distinguished road
Question time to rebuild

im planning to have my motor rebuilt next month and just want a very fast street car. like low 12 sec. i have ta-49 40 lb injectors and just want to know what would be a good combo (internal parts)to have done/installed. ie: cam,pistons, bigger injectors,what size stall converter,etc... or should i stay stock? money is not too much of a problem.

Last edited by boutime; 07-02-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:05 PM
Senior Contributor

buddiiee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: time to rebuild

moneys not a problem eh? dam, SOMEone just hit the lottery! lucky. well, if i were you, being that gas is soo high, and this is a street car, id build that engine for RELIABILITY, so mpg wont be affected that much, and shell last you 250,000 miles. you can get low-mid 12's EASY with just the little satellite component change ups. nicer intercooler, stall to match your setup, good quality chip to tie it all in. high efficiency radiator with 160 thermostat to keep er nice and cool, maybe a quick diet to lighten er up a bit (fiberglass hood, trunk, and both bumpers, aluminum bumper supports, aluminum brake drums, aluminum aftermarket race rims, lightweight starter, and leave the A/C system and spare tire at home) and with your ta49 and aftermarket injectors, you should be ok. $hit, if you tune this right, with those lightweight components, you MAY even get 12 seconds flat who knows. all i know is, the most important factors are a solid reliable base engine, a scan tool, and really good tires without any of that, you aint goin anywhere. past that, theres no limit man, you could get 13 flat, with your girl in the car, the air on, and 17 mpg on street, EASY, and whoop mustangs all day in the process. or, you could change a few things, and go low 11's, again, without that much hassle. its all in the way you make your components come together. if they dont play well with each other, youre gonna run 16's with a 10,000$ engine, and never figure out why. i know cuz theres people on this board, that are askin why as well when mosher and keller step in, theyll hook you straight up. go to the recipe page, on the tech area of this board, youll be roastin in no time flat.
KB chip,2400 TC,K&N cai,stage3 shiftkit,bilstein shocks,engine strap,1.375 rear bar,all 4 brace kits,2.5"catless dual exhaust,bosch afpr,airbag,160 t-stat,power plate,ported inlet bell,alum drums,S-10 cylinders.On deck:LT1 springs,hotwired walbro.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:55 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Question Re: time to rebuild

Low 12s on pump gas, or low 12s on race gas?

I just ran 11.76 recently with a TA-49, 36 lb. injectors, V4R intercooler, THDP...70K on untouched motor. But I used race gas.

Are you in need of a rebuild?
Old 07-17-2005, 09:15 PM

90,000 miles and it has a rythmic tap. i did a compression check and it was 125, i thouht that was low. i have the money to do it, just want to know what kind of upgrades would be worth putting into it besides forged pistons.also, can i get low 12's on 94 octane gas? also with my ta-49, should i go with a 2800 stall. may as well put a new converter in while the engine is out. thanks for any advice.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

Here's some good tips:

http://www.gnttype.org/general/rebuild.html

My basic tip is to rebuild for reliability on the bottom end. There's no magic there ... spend your money and time on the heads, turbo, fuel system ... that's where the power is.

Don't go too big on the cam or you'll move the power band up too far for a street car.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 08-08-2005, 06:12 PM

gbsean is on a distinguished road

check out my signature with traction 60' and eliminating the 1-2 wheel spin easy low 12's or high 11's

Buick Performance Group Chairman
Old 08-08-2005, 09:15 PM

that on pump or race gas?
Old 08-09-2005, 03:48 PM

gbsean is on a distinguished road

race gas 18 psi..just ordered alky kit that also was on a 98* degree day with 80% humidity. was 6 yrs ago at gs nats in columbus. since then have not had a chance to run it. We had 2 kids (boys) so car was on back burner then popped a head gasket due to bad gas. Just fixed it and it seems even stronger with all the tuning done in the past year. Will take it to track soon.

Buick Performance Group Chairman