GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Transmission / Torque Converter Tech

Old 07-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road
Default 200-4R Rebuild ... step by step!

Link removed - Information no longer present on nastyz28.com
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition

Last edited by Keller; 11-21-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:37 AM
81 elky

81 elky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 200-4R Rebuild ... step by step!

Oooohhhh....pictures!
Old 06-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86

wow nice find Ken

My Turbo Buick
Old 11-20-2008, 05:52 PM

blownbuick is on a distinguished road

This link no longer works. Anybody have an updated link?

Thanks,
JT

Buick Power Source manuals in the house! Not a reprint...the real deal with head porting templates...still sealed in plastic - $70 shipped in the 48 states

'86 Dark Red Metallic Regal T-Type
Old 11-21-2008, 12:18 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: 200-4R Rebuild ... step by step!

The author apparently pulled his posting after having a nasty feud with some on nastyz28.com back in September. I will contact the author directly and see if he will provide the data for posting on our site.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:09 AM

blownbuick is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: 200-4R Rebuild ... step by step!

That would be great!

Thanks,
JT

Buick Power Source manuals in the house! Not a reprint...the real deal with head porting templates...still sealed in plastic - $70 shipped in the 48 states

'86 Dark Red Metallic Regal T-Type
Old 11-21-2008, 02:58 AM
The Trans Guy

jakeshoe is on a distinguished road

Back by popular demand,
I eventually plan to update this and put it on my own website but here it is until I have time to get around to that project.

I don't have the time at the moment to check the posts daily although I try to answer questions as time permits. My email is the best way to contact me for questions.

jakeshoe@yahoo.com

The 200-4R is an excellent choice for a street or street/strip overdrive transmission IF you do the proper upgrades to keep it alive.

There are a few weaknesses that must be addressed. If you are below the 350HP/TQ level, a near stock 200-4R with a Grand National Servo, upgraded 2nd band, hardened sun shell and pump stator shaft, valve body recalibration kit, and boost valves will serve you very well.

Once you surpass the 350HP/TQ level an improved forward drum is a very important upgrade. There are several of these on the market. There are hardened/heat-treated/cryro'd drums and there are drums modified with a "billet" shaft.
I believe the billet shaft models are the best bet. These are available from www.CKperformance.com.

Also important is the direct clutch configuration at higher power levels. I firmly believe that dual feeding is the ultimate answer. It does however REQUIRE that you use a billet forward drum. I also like using Alto Red clutches with a stock 6 count and stock thick direct steel plates.

A larger billet servo becomes necessary at over 450 HP/TQ and in heavy cars it is preferred at lower power levels. My advice is that if you use the billet servos, you retain the large cushion spring despite what the manufacturers instructions recommend.

Disassembly:

Remove the shifter lever, speedometer housing and driven gear, pump bolts (13mm), and then tap the servo cover on the passenger side of the case with a rubber mallet to dislodge it and gain access to the servo snap ring. Remove the snap ring with a flat tip screwdriver at the notch in the bottom of the case.
Grab the servo cover with a pair of channel locks and spin, wiggle it loose.
Remove the servo assembly.

Remove the pan bolts and pan.
Remove the filter.
Unbolt the TCC solenoid near the front of the case, it will have 2 wires going to it.
Remove the governor cover from the rear pan area. (4) 13mm bolts. Remove the governor.

Remove the wiring, 1-2 accumulator housing, parking pawl bracket, transfer tube, and valve body bolts.
The valve body should now be loose and can be disconnected from the shift linkage and set aside.
The 3-4 accumulator piston and spring can be removed from the case, as well as the check balls, 2 10mm center support bolts, and band pin.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:59 AM
The Trans Guy

The pump can now be gently pryed away from the case and removed.

The splash plate can be slid out exposing the overdrive pressure plate snap ring.

Remove the snap ring, grasp the input shaft and pull out the input shaft, OD carrier assembly, and OD clutches.

Then remove the OD ring gear.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:04 AM
The Trans Guy

This exposes the OD apply piston/center support.

There are two snap rings. An external snap ring that retains the OD apply piston return spring assembly into the center support. It must be removed first. You can use pressure from your hand to force the spring plate back and get the snap ring started at one end then "spiral" it off, while working your pressure around the spring assembly.

Once removed it will look like this:

You can now remove the large internal snap ring that holds the center support in the case. This snap ring also works well for a TH400 intermediate pressure plate snap ring
Once the snap ring is removed, if you removed the center support bolts previously, it can be slid out of the case. It is a very snug fit.
It may come out with the direct drum and the forward drum.

Last edited by jakeshoe; 03-19-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:04 AM
The Trans Guy

Remove the direct drum and forward drum if not already out, remove and discard the 2nd gear band, remove the output shaft retaining snap ring.

You can then remove the selective washer and thrust washer, front internal ring gear, front planetary, and front sun gear.

Now slide the sun shell and shaft out.

Remove the low carrier snap ring. And then remove the low clutch housing. This usually requires a special tool but can be done using a couple of "L" shaped devices to get behind it and work forward.

Once this is accomplished you can remove the spacer snap ring fromt he case and pull the output shaft forward to remove the output ring gear, rear planetary assembly, and all the low reverse clutches.

Last edited by jakeshoe; 03-19-2009 at 03:54 AM.