GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Mechanical

Old 09-22-2005, 08:28 PM

oneshot is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for some input

I own a ZX750 sportbike and i love the thing, the speed is nice but in reality i never really even drive it fast.It can do 150 no problem without breaking a sweat, my bike has saw 100MPH 1 time ithat i have had it. I pretty much drive the speed limit where ever i go and usually am in the back because i am the slow rider, i like the fact that my insurance is low and the truth is i would rather drive slow i am more of a poser you could say(that what my friends say anyways)

Im 37 years old but in reality i am still a kid who likes his toys and wants to have fun. Now that that is out of the way i think people would better understand where i am coming from and when i say things like no i dont drive fast it's not BS its actually the truth, i just like to have the toys that can do it if needed. Now on with my question

I have just a stock 1987 GN and am going to order a few upgrades for it. First thing that will be done will be my spring cleaning of course. After that I am going to add this stuff i have below on my car. This is just a street car I just don’t see myself going to the track maybe once or so if that. I would just like to add a few performance parts to it. I don’t plan on racing everyone I come across but the few times I do decide to get on it with someone I don’t want to be a easy lay if you know what I mean, I would like to give a little bit of a challenge if I can. Can someone give me a recomendation on the parts i have listed below are pretty good mods to add to my 87GN Stock motor.

MAF Pipes
Model: Chrome 3.5 INCH MAF PIPE-INTEGRAL INLET TURBO 85.00

Big Mouth Intercooled Cold Air Systems
Model: Big Mouth Chrome Steel Kit WITH FILTER195.00
Stock MAF sensor

Big Mouth Shorty Style Air Filter Kit
Model: 3.5 INCH CHROME Shorty Style Air Filter Kit TE Turbo150.00

from
http://www.buickgn.com/Bigmouthshortstyle.htm

1.Chip Upgrade from ERIC@turbotweak

2.MAF Upgrade / K&N breather

3.Adj F/P regulator

4.Walboro 340 F/Pump and hotwire kit

5.Scantool

Thanks for your time if you can offer any suggestions

EDIT

What is a MAF and also what about putting in some new injectors as another performance mod. If new injectors are recomended any suggestions on what type to get.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for some input

MAF is Mass Air Flow sensor ... if your stocker is working, no need to do anything with it until it fails.

You might consider a hot wire upgrade to the pump.

I wouldn't mess with injectors until you upgrade the turbo.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 09-23-2005, 08:43 AM

TurboBuckeye is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshot
3.Adj F/P regulator

Do yourself a favor and buy an Accufab afpr
Old 09-23-2005, 01:46 PM

cherrypie is on a distinguished road

Those are nice upgrade parts and will compliment the engine bay.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Senior Contributor

JHensberry is on a distinguished road

one shot, that is a good start, but if I am not mistaken I noticed 2 things. First, it appears that you are going to order the duplicate parts. The stock MAF, which you say you have when speaking of the big mouth cold air kit. The stock is only a 3". The LT1 is 3.5". Second, the big mouth cold air kit and the shorty air kit do the same thing, just different ways. Why do you need to order both? The shorty is similiar to alot of guys that run the 9" K&N right to the MAF. The cold air is simply down and underneath by the drvr. headlight, coming out near the air dam. FWIW, I once had a 14" K&N down in front of the radiator and fried a MAF b/c the air filter was help sucking up the elements, just my experience. You may want to throw in hood mounted FP gauge just for the tuning aspect of things. If you wish to do inj, stock is 28 pds, blue tops are 36 pds, red stripes are 42 pds, and they go up from there. If mainly streetable, don't see why blue or red wont work for you. Thanks, Joseph.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:12 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Looking for some input

If there is no big increase in airflow (i.e. turbo upgrade) why should there be an injector upgrade? You can drop more than 1.5 seconds off your ETs before you even expore the limits of the stock injectors. Why mess with them?
Old 09-23-2005, 07:16 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Looking for some input

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHensberry
If you wish to do inj, stock is 28 pds, blue tops are 36 pds, red stripes are 42 pds, and they go up from there.
It is generally accepted that Bosch green stripe '008' injectors are 30 lb/hr, the 'red stripe' injectors are 40 lb/hr, and the Bosch green stripe '009' injectors are 42.5 or 43 lb/hr.