GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Mechanical

Old 08-02-2005, 11:29 AM

douglas james is on a distinguished road
Default Miles per gallon

Good Morning:

A few questions if I might.

1. At what speed (mph/rpm) does the 87 GN shift into overdrive. I spend most of my time commuting at 35 to 40 MPH and at 1800 to 2000 RPMs.

2. I have an external wastegate. Why would I want to adjust it and how do I do it?

3. The previous owner adjusted the boos so that the it does not exceed 13 psi and I want to increase it. How do I do so? How I far can I increase the boost before I need to modify the fuel system which is stock?

Thanks, folks.

Doug
Old 08-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Miles per gallon

1. The TCC lockup is controlled by the chip and can be reprogrammed. Stock was somewhere around 40 MPH at light throttle. Lots of the aftermarket chips move it up a little (45-50 MPH) to avoid the "on/off" feeling when driving in city traffic. Lockup is governed by vehicle speed and load.

2. Depends on the brand/type? Deltagate? Plumbing? ATR gate? Racegate? Some gates have plumbing that you can put an air regulator valve in place and then manually adjust it up or down from the cockpit. Others have a screw in the wastegate body that puts pressure on the diaphragm when you screw it in or out to adjust boost (usually tighter is more boost). Many use a combination of both ... using the mechanical adjustment to get the "base boost" and then use the vacuum lines to adjust from there.

3. See #2.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 08-08-2005, 06:00 PM

gbsean is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Miles per gallon

mine shifts into OD @115mph in WOT.
1> locks ups @ 44mph which is annoying so i keep it in drive WOT locks at 60mph

2 . what ken said

3. I would check to see if you have the factory fuel pump they were lousy from the start replace with an xp or walbro. chances are if it has an external wastegate the guy might have upgraded the pump.